Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tips on Differential Oil Changing

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 08:19 PM
Default Tips on Differential Oil Changing

Differential Oil Changing On Audi A6

The differential oil lubriates the gear system and like any other component in your car, it deteriorates over time. It is recommended to be changed every 80,000 miles. Its easy as doing an engine oil change and should be done at shorter intervals.
In this article I will go over the simple steps to changing this oil and avoid the costly trip to the mechanic.

Things You'll Need:

jack stands
Jack
10mm allen
small hose and pump

Step 1. Audi recommends using 75w 90 gear oil. You will need about 1.5 Liters.

Step 2.
Jack up the car lifting all 4 wheels off the floor at a even level. This is required to accurately fill the fluid.

Step 3. Now lets locate the rear differential and drain plug(circle) and the fill plug (arrow, blocked not visible)

Step 4. Open the Fill plug first! You do not want to drain the oil and not be able to fill it back up.

Step 5.
You will need a 10mm allen wrench for both plugs.

Step 6. Once you have the fill plug opened. Its safe to open the drain plug.

Step 7. Once its finished draining. Put the drain plug back in. And lets prepare to fill her up with new differential fluid. I used my pressure pump to push the fluid in. You can use any pump such as one from a shampoo bottle and attach a hose that will lead into the fill plug

Step 8. A shot of hose going into the fill plug. It is done filling up once oil begins flowing out.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:39 PM
3rd Gear

Welcome and good 1st post.

Old 07-27-2009, 11:16 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by volkspares
Differential Oil Changing On Audi A6

The differential oil lubriates the gear system and like any other component in your car, it deteriorates over time. It is recommended to be changed every 80,000 miles. Its easy as doing an engine oil change and should be done at shorter intervals.
In this article I will go over the simple steps to changing this oil and avoid the costly trip to the mechanic.

Things You'll Need:

jack stands
Jack
10mm allen
small hose and pump

Step 1. Audi recommends using 75w 90 gear oil. You will need about 1.5 Liters.

Step 2.
Jack up the car lifting all 4 wheels off the floor at a even level. This is required to accurately fill the fluid.

Step 3. Now lets locate the rear differential and drain plug(circle) and the fill plug (arrow, blocked not visible)

Step 4. Open the Fill plug first! You do not want to drain the oil and not be able to fill it back up.

Step 5.
You will need a 10mm allen wrench for both plugs.

Step 6. Once you have the fill plug opened. Its safe to open the drain plug.

Step 7. Once its finished draining. Put the drain plug back in. And lets prepare to fill her up with new differential fluid. I used my pressure pump to push the fluid in. You can use any pump such as one from a shampoo bottle and attach a hose that will lead into the fill plug

Step 8. A shot of hose going into the fill plug. It is done filling up once oil begins flowing out.
Welcome to the forum, and great first post. This tells that the person behind the ID is a true helper for others.
Now let's help the folks (or volk) that could benefit from this wonderful DIY and show the "circle" and the "arrow" that presumably are in some pics, otherwise you gonna make them spin in circles trying to locate the differential drain and fill plugs.

Old 07-28-2009, 11:46 AM
Thumbs up Thanks a lot....

Hello All thanks a lot....
For your positive response....
I will come up with more such topics....

Thanks Again