Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire bubble?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 05:31 PM
2nd Gear
Default Tire bubble?

Last night I was driving through the rain and went into a contruction zone where they have been repaving, and then without warning no bumb sign, no pavement ends sign. the road ended. I hit some nasty bumps and washbords and this morning when I was washing the car I saw a golf ball (maybe a little larger) sized bump, or bubble in the rear left tire. And ideas, or tips to what I should do? I am up in VT now and its october already so snow will be coming would it be a good idea to just switch to my studded snows early?

Old 10-03-2006, 10:40 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Tire bubble?

Time for a new tire. Have a warranty on it?

Old 10-04-2006, 08:26 AM
1st Gear

what can you do with a buble on the tire?
a. wait for it to blow with no warning, while you're navigating your way through that beautiful VT snow, or
b. replace it as soon as you can and try not to catch washboards again

hmmmm...

ok, ok, I do feel bad that this happened to you, dude, but its not an option - change the tire. I got 16 inch wheels on mine and I bought my Continentals (OEM) on Tirerack.com several months ago on sale - maybe they have some kind of sale again, check it out.
also consider how your other tires are - are they worn? it is usually better to replace them at least in pair if not in 4s - better balanced wear = better handling, better ride, more safety for people inside the car [that's you].

good luck, and drive safe

Old 10-05-2006, 05:06 PM
2nd Gear

Yeah. I found a summer full spare. its a little bigger then the other hankooks but my tech guy says its not an option with a potential blow out. All four wheels are bent. and my left headlight fell in a bit.I've been calling the road construction division for a while and finaly got them to agree to sending me a form where I send them pictures and have a Certified technician list the damage that needs repair. I geuss those wheels alone are about $400 each. So Im hoping for some good news.

Old 10-06-2006, 04:58 AM
1st Gear

oh, maaaaan! I feel your pain - I remember hitting a truck muffler with two wheels some years back in my Honda - cracked two rims on the spot, had to get new wheels received $0.00 from NYC, but never claimed anything though - just went and bough new wheels ) I hope you get at least something from those jerks. Just be careful driving with all those bent wheels and bubles - might end up costing you even more if you let it mess up your suspension somehow - do research or ask your mech whether there maybe repercutions there.

Old 10-06-2006, 10:59 AM
1st Gear

that bubble is like a blood blister on a finger, the tire is pinched one the inside. when you get the tire off, if the tear/pinch line runs horizontal then its a road hazard. if the line runs vertical then its tread seperation, in which case it is normally covered under the manufactuers warranty. hopefully you have coverage on your tires or in this case they cover it, but either way you'll need to replace it. if your wheels are bent, you need to either get new ones or restraighten those wheels. normally a wheel straighten fixes it as good as new. dont forget if you have a quattro that you should replace all tires at the same time. you can get away with replacing two (front or back not side to side) but all for is recommended. good luck. if you get new wheels, post pics.

also, see if they can get you a little better tire. just my .02.

Old 10-09-2006, 05:22 PM
2nd Gear

VT Trans has agreed to look over the damage of my car. I have to fill out a report complete with pictures and a write up from a certified Audi Technician. Once I have done that they send someone out to estimate a check or what not, Like an insurance agent. I am hoping for the best.

Old 10-11-2006, 01:44 AM
1st Gear

I hit a pot hole on I-77 near Cleveland. The front tire and rim were shot. The back had a small dent and could be repaired. I went to a place in Medina, OH and was very satisified and they knew what they were doing. It is called Motomotion, and they have a web site too. I have nothing to do with the company and only was there that one time, but they did a good job. If the rim is bent out of line or cracked it is shot, but it can be recycled and a local shop might knock a few bucks off your tire or service purchase.