Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire question

Old 11-06-2006, 05:07 PM
Ozz
1st Gear
Default Tire question

Guys,

Anybody running Contiextremecontact 255/40/17 all year round ? I am living in New England and need your expereince please.

Old 11-06-2006, 07:33 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Tire question

Those are good tires for all-seasons, but of course, being able to use thsem in all seasons winter and summer means that you are compromising performance in all those seasons as well. A true summer tire will never work in winter, but is the ultimate tire for our cars in the other 8 months of the year. A true winter tire is a great way to make sure you can move in the deep stuff, but of course, is only really needed when it is snowing. 90% of the time, the winter roads are dry but cold, so true winters are not "erquired" but a plus to have.

However, most will not run two sets of wheels (due to cost or storage) or two sets of tires on one set of wheels (twice paying for mounting and balancing every year to swap out), so the all-seaon is a good compromise. The Conti Extreme Contacts are rated as one of the best all-season tires. I run Dunlop M3 snowsports for winter (on my stock wheels), but the rest of the year I run Pirelli PZeroNero M&S tries...all-seasons, just in case of the late fall or early spring snow. I have had three sets of Conti Extreme Contacts before...two were out of round, adn the 3rd was hard to get balanced properly, even using the Hunter road force machine.

Old 11-06-2006, 08:04 PM
Ozz
1st Gear

Thanks, 100% agree - that's why will go for the set of 18's with summer tires later on. BTW do you know if S8 rims will fit our car ?
IMO looks not bad, especially after 2002 style ...

ORIGINAL: Boston Driver

Those are good tires for all-seasons, but of course, being able to use thsem in all seasons winter and summer means that you are compromising performance in all those seasons as well. A true summer tire will never work in winter, but is the ultimate tire for our cars in the other 8 months of the year. A true winter tire is a great way to make sure you can move in the deep stuff, but of course, is only really needed when it is snowing. 90% of the time, the winter roads are dry but cold, so true winters are not "erquired" but a plus to have.

However, most will not run two sets of wheels (due to cost or storage) or two sets of tires on one set of wheels (twice paying for mounting and balancing every year to swap out), so the all-seaon is a good compromise. The Conti Extreme Contacts are rated as one of the best all-season tires. I run Dunlop M3 snowsports for winter (on my stock wheels), but the rest of the year I run Pirelli PZeroNero M&S tries...all-seasons, just in case of the late fall or early spring snow. I have had three sets of Conti Extreme Contacts before...two were out of round, adn the 3rd was hard to get balanced properly, even using the Hunter road force machine.

Old 11-06-2006, 08:55 PM
1st Gear

i was looking at those tires, they look like a pretty good set, i went with the yoko avid 4vs, only had them on for about a week so i'm not sure how they are going wear but i love em right now

Old 11-06-2006, 10:15 PM
1st Gear

I do not think the OEM S8 wheels (former D2 platform) will fit our cars without spacers. They are 18x8" ET48 offset. Not sure though, such a rare wheel that I am not sure I've seen a set of those for sale in a long time. The OEM S6 wheels 17x8" ET35 would be perfect for the 4.2!