Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tons of questions. help me buy a car.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 06:17 PM
1st Gear
Default tons of questions. help me buy a car.

Hi,
I missed out on the 4.2 audi I posted about earlier. So I'm back to square 1.
What I want.. 02+ audi A6 with quattro.
I have no idea which motor is the most reliable. I would ASSume the normally aspirated 6 is but who knows?
I would prefer the car have no more than 60k miles on it. I will be my daily driver. ~14k a year.
Which motor is the best on gas when cruising? How about when getting on it?

What would you pick were it you? This will be my only car for a little while so I need reliability.
I see 'has the timing belt been changed' all over this website. What intervals does this happen?

Are factory navigation/bluetooth systems available? Are they good. I do realize I can always get a tom tom or some other aftermarket unit but they never look nice and with all the red instrumentation I think anything aftermarket would look terrible. especially at night.

please help! i'd like to buy in the next week

Old 08-09-2007, 08:25 PM
Default RE: tons of questions. help me buy a car.

Personally (I live in northern michigan with winters thinking of going to the UP for college with massive winters) I would go with the 4.2 or something not turbo.I have a 99 2.8 quattro. I just would not like the chance of a turbo failing or something when i am in 2 feet of snow trying to get home. Just reading around it seems like the turbos are a little more figity although my moms boss has a 2.7T quattro and hasn't had a problem so I suppose it is just luck of the draw.

Old 08-10-2007, 11:09 AM

Well I had a 2.8 A4 but it wasn't enough power and I needed a bigger car so I started looking at the A6's. I figured the 3.0 wasn't powerful enough and the 4.2 only come in automatics so I now have a 2.7T 6MT. I'm hoping the turbos don't fail anytime soon (23K on the clock). The NA motors will be the most reliable.

Old 08-10-2007, 03:45 PM
3rd Gear

Yes - turbos need a little extra TLC but well within the parameters of taking care of any fine luxury sport touring car. You do have to pay attention to warm up/cool down especially and use a good synthetic motor oil. I like the option of the MT6 which may not be available on any of the other models.

Other than a massive repair bill IF the turbos fail, most of the problems I have seen posted are not engine related. They cross all A6 models: the2.8l, 2.7T, 3.0l, and 4.2l. Your advantagefor allexcept the 2.7T is that you don't have to worry about turbo failure. But they all need similar maintenance including a timing belt + other parts at 80-90k.

Not all 2.8l's come in quattro.

I've seen more posts from owners of 2.8l's looking for performance parts than I have from 2.7T owner's wanting to de-tune their ride or complaining aboiut turbo failure. The 4.2l comes with the hp right out of the box. PS - I just turned 101k with stock turbos and a GIAC chip for the last 22k miles.