Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

the transmission...

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 06:20 PM
1st Gear
Default the transmission...

on my 2001 4.2 a6 is acting up. its catching 2nd gear at high rpms about 3-4k over and shifting hard when it grabs. it only happens when between 1-2. i had it checked out at my local audi shop and was told the car has 0 fault codes on both engine and tranny. the mechanic suggested that it may be something internal causing this problem, and also that they cant work on it there because it is a sealed tranny. at this point i am having the hardest time finding a good place to check it out that wont break my bank like a dealership. anyone have any recommendations for shops in thelos angeles/ orange county caarea? any help here would be much appreciated.
-serj

Old 05-23-2008, 07:08 PM
Default RE: the transmission...

How many miles since the last ATF change. Did you get Audi type ATF (Pensosin)? See www.blauparts.com for an ATF refill kit. Also, see www.bentleypublishers.com and www.ross-tech.com. Perhaps your local shop doesn't want to do automatic transmissions, because of the investment in special transmission tools. However, you need to get the ATF and filter changed, as not enough or bad ATF eat transmissions. Do you have a warranty? What do you mean by a "sealed tranny"?

Old 05-24-2008, 12:04 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: the transmission...

dude, thanks for the response. actually i just got the car in january, so im really not sure how long its been. warranty is expired. its got 80k mi. the guy at the shop it take it to has done great work for me before, timing belt and all that good stuff, but with this he went through a whole spiel and described it as a sealed transmission because its supposed to be a lifetime no maintenance transmission etc..., and also that they dont work on them there. ive been reading around though and found out thats not the case with the transmission. so my cars parked and im bummed. just hoping its nothing major. ive just been looking for shops like a mad man.