Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission problems

Old 02-07-2012, 02:44 PM
1st Gear
Default Transmission problems

I have a 2001 Audi A6 2.7t automatic with 140,000 miles on it. I have had absolutely no problems with the transmission before yesterday. It was working perfectly fine until I went out to my car at night and put it in reverse, my car wouldn't move at all after I let off the brake...if I give it some gas it kinda moves but barely. I haven't driven it yet but it appears fine when I put it in drive. any ideas other than a shot tranny?

Old 02-07-2012, 04:45 PM
1st Gear

I wish I could say it sounds like a caliper on the brakes is hanging up .... but it would be difficult in both directions.

If you had it on level ground you could stick it in neutral and try to push it backward. If you can push it backward with acceptable muscle then unfortunately it's very likely something in the reverse circuit of the transmission is gummed up or starting to fail. You could try a transmission additive like Lucas just in case it is a gummed up solenoid that isn't passing enough pressure to the clutches to fully engage it in reverse.

Attached Images  
Old 02-07-2012, 09:10 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Kiss4afrog
You could try a transmission additive like Lucas just in case it is a gummed up solenoid that isn't passing enough pressure to the clutches to fully engage it in reverse.
i disagree. never never put anything in your tranny besides the appropriate oil. this is no toyota.

is your check engine light on?
if you are having tranny problems do the following:

check your tranny control module located in the passenger floor. if its wet your tranny will act funky!

get codes!!

if no codes are present and you have not changed the tranny oil do so now. audi says its lifetime but its not. Do not flush them either. just drop the pan new audi approved tranny oil and new filter.

if that doesnt solve the problem its time for a rebuild.

i think that you are having a problem with the torque converter.

it could be thats there not enough oil in there. these trannys will do do the weirdest things even if its a quart low on oil.

whenwas your last tranny oil change?

looks like this guy is having same probs.

check out what other says about lucas
http://forums.audiworld.com/showthre...ighlight=lucas

Old 02-08-2012, 08:32 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for the ideas. It is throwing codes but just for the O2 sensor, the last time the tranny fluid was changed would have been about 3 months ago so maybe 1500 miles. Nothing has been leaking.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:27 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by andyaudia6
Thanks for the ideas. It is throwing codes but just for the O2 sensor, the last time the tranny fluid was changed would have been about 3 months ago so maybe 1500 miles. Nothing has been leaking.
what are you using to read the codes? the generic code readers will not pick tranny codes.

you might want to take the car back to the guy who did the oil change. he might not have added enough oil. was he an audi mechanic? the temperature has to be at a certain range and he can only do that with professional equipments or vag-com. and if he adds oil when the temp is not in that range he will underfill the transmission.

i find it very strange that you en-counted this problem jut 1500 miles later. TAKE IT BACK!