Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission problems, key stuck in my A6

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 07:36 PM
1st Gear
Exclamation Transmission problems, key stuck in my A6

Transmission problems with my 2007 A6. Can't get it into full park, the key is stuck. My battery is going to die. Any ideas?

Old 09-10-2011, 10:10 PM

My car isn't here so I don't know if this will work, but maybe the key will come out in neutral? You can disconnect your battery as a temporary fix, but before you do make sure you've got the code for the stereo.

Will the car start in neutral?

Old 09-11-2011, 12:41 PM
2nd Gear

IIRC, it has to do with the shift release cable. The usual failure is the other way around: you can't get it out of park. You have to remove the center console then the cable is right there and you can manipulate it (not sure exactly what you will need to do) to free up the key.

Good luck,

Bob

Old 09-22-2011, 11:59 AM
3rd Gear

Come on Bob you know the answer to this one - It is real simple..

He dropped something into the shift mechanism - usually coins - and he needs to remove it so the car will go into park.
He has to remove the shift mechanism cover and fish the offending stuff out of the bottom. I made $0.73 that way a few years ago!

Old 09-22-2011, 07:29 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by bshaft
Transmission problems with my 2007 A6. Can't get it into full park, the key is stuck. My battery is going to die. Any ideas?
Common problem on the C6. It is the ignition module. Go to the 5th and 6th TSBs in the Ignition section of the TSB library linked below.

Audi A6 TSB List

Old 09-22-2011, 08:05 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Kevin
Common problem on the C6. It is the ignition module. Go to the 5th and 6th TSBs in the Ignition section of the TSB library linked below.

Audi A6 TSB List
Thanks for the link to the TSB. Bed time reading...

Old 09-22-2011, 08:43 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by hxgaser
Thanks for the link to the TSB. Bed time reading...
It took quite a bit of work, but it is quite helpful. Just keep in mind that the TSBs are for the C6, not the C5.

Old 09-22-2011, 10:51 PM
3rd Gear

Figured as much regarding the C6, but still fun.

Old 10-13-2014, 07:03 PM
1st Gear
Default Transmission problems with my 2007 A6. Can't get it into full park, the key is stuck.

I encountered the key stuck in ignition issue on my A6 2007 3.2 this weekend. The problem was also accompanied by the automatic shift not moving out of 1st gear (had to switch to manual to do this). I noticed this on the way back from the car wash. When I parked, the key would not release from the ignition.

The GOOD NEWS is that these issues were apparently caused but something seemingly unrelated, a faulty break light switch. Somehow, this had a cascading effect on the other systems. My trusted mechanic discovered this while troubleshooting and noticed the break lights were either stuck on or were not turning off (sorry, can't remember which). After replacing the the switch the issues were resolved. I've only had it for a day but will post any updates if I see this again. All seems great now. Car drives beautifully.

Hopefully this helps others out who encounter this. I've seen it posted many times with various causes & remedies suggested.

Originally Posted by bshaft

Old 03-21-2022, 01:10 PM
1st Gear

My A6 2007 3.2 avant had same problems: transmission not shift up from 1st or 2nd, key stuck, brake lights on after engine off, ABS light on. I will try to replace the brake pedal switch. Hope it works. Thank you for the information.

Originally Posted by Kfkyle
I encountered the key stuck in ignition issue on my A6 2007 3.2 this weekend. The problem was also accompanied by the automatic shift not moving out of 1st gear (had to switch to manual to do this). I noticed this on the way back from the car wash. When I parked, the key would not release from the ignition.

The GOOD NEWS is that these issues were apparently caused but something seemingly unrelated, a faulty break light switch. Somehow, this had a cascading effect on the other systems. My trusted mechanic discovered this while troubleshooting and noticed the break lights were either stuck on or were not turning off (sorry, can't remember which). After replacing the the switch the issues were resolved. I've only had it for a day but will post any updates if I see this again. All seems great now. Car drives beautifully.

Hopefully this helps others out who encounter this. I've seen it posted many times with various causes & remedies suggested.