Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission repair costs

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 11:54 AM
Default Transmission repair costs

I just recently purchased my first Audi A6 2001 2.8L AWD 166kmiles, and I just love it. It was high on miles but very well maintained, previously owned as a company car for the local Audi Dealership in Atlanta. Recently I have noticed that when i need the acceleration at 1st gear the car slips up and doesn't pick up momentum fast enough. All the other gears and stuff work perfectly.

Took it to the local AAMCO mechanic and he said that my transmission fluid was burnt and that it was b/c first gear is slipping and not getting the full pressure. his quote to just open it up and replace the standard stuff using a Transmission kit would be $2000. and like any mechanic he told me that this problem should be fixed ASAP or it might end up costing x2 - x3 more $$$ in the future.

I wanted to ask all you professionals if that seemed like a normal starting cost of opening up the Transmission.
The mechanic also said that the transmittion fluid itself was around $350, (is that about right?)

As a side note, I really don't have the $$$ to get it fixed atm, but I heard from another mechanic that on the A6 AWDs that during most driving the car starts off in 2nd gear never even touching 1st gear unless you force the car to do so by pounding on the accelerator at slow speeds. I also wanted to ask all of you if this is true, and in your honest opinion I should just let the problem slide and try to just avoid 1st gear, or how long i can delay the repairs, I have been driving like this for about 1 month now and I don't know if I should keep pushing my luck before something bad happens.

Thanks alot for all your time

Mortaz

Old 02-10-2006, 04:21 PM
Default RE: Transmission repair costs

the price for the fluid is double from what it cost in the dealer.
if you give me transs. code i can get you used transs. for about 1200$ with 12k on it.

Old 02-10-2006, 09:02 PM
1st Gear

Mortaz, that is an insane amount of money just to replace the fluid. I could understand maybe $2000 to rebuild the damn thing, but something sounds a little fishy.

I've had a similar problem with my car. I have an A4 5-Speed and my 1st gear sounds like ****, whenever I shift into it, it makes horrible sounds and makes my car feel like I'm towing a fairly large object lol, but once I shift out of 1st gear into 2nd or any other gear it is absolutely perfect sounding and feeling. I have had this annoying little problem for about 8-10 months and have not yet had the money to fix it. But with careful shifting etc it hasn't caused any other problems or gotten too much worse. So just to let you know, you could probably just keep driving the way you are for awhile, if you don't have the $$$ because I've been doing so and our problems sound similar.

Some advice - consult at least 2 other mechanics!!! The one you went to sounds like a ****ing **** I hate when they try to screw you.

I went to a couple of mechanics and tried to get some honest advice, which can sometimes be difficult. But from what I've gathered, the general consensous seems to be that the previous owner of my car apparantly liked to "leap frog" my car. Which means, REV the **** out of it in Neutral and then drop 1st gear creating the "leap frog" affect. Which in turn would strip or at the very least dull down some of the teeth on the 1st gear.

I hope this helps, good luck.

Old 02-11-2006, 04:09 AM

Thanks Alot for the feedback guys, it means alot.

mastvadz71: i will try to get the code for you on monday ( that could be 1 solution )

I took it to another mechanic that specializes in european cars, he actually worked in germany for 30years on these babies and he seemed very educated and experienced. he is kinda retired but pulling some strings I got him work with me. He said that one starting point would be to do the fluid flush/change (costs something like $250) much cheaper than the other mechanics. The second thing he noticed was that the burning smell after driving was from a leak near the engine that was leaking on the exhaust hence causing some smoke, going to get that looked at on monday, if the leak is coming from the transmission that could very well be my problem, or it could be just an oil leak, but nontheless need to get that fixed too.

A4BlackBeast: yeah i think overall if I can't come up with the $$$ then I will just have to drive it with ease, I don't know about anyone else here who has an A6 AWD but on my automatic it takes some serious acceleration to drop the car to 1st gear. which is kinda good news for me atm.

Anyway thanks soo much for the feedback, I will keep you all updated on monday when I learn some more stuff

Mortaz

Old 06-01-2013, 06:00 PM
1st Gear
Default Audi A6

I got an Audi and the mechanic said that i have a transmission problem but he won't tell me what the problem is. He said that its going to cost alot of money to fix it. I would like to know what it would cost to replace a audi a6 tranny?

Old 12-05-2013, 04:22 PM
1st Gear

I have a 2004 TT Roadster. It rides like a dream. I have kept all oil changes and maintenance up to date. Recently I felt a slight hesitation on start up. After start up the ride was fine. I decided to get it checked out.
The mechanic who checked the car said it needed a camshaft valve and seal. I said to go ahead and fix it. When I went to pick it up, after it was 'fixed', the dash cluster was flashing zeros on the mpg and the radio was in SAFE mode. Now the car is LURCHING and jerking. Obviously NOT fixed and not worse.
I left the car. Next they took it to another repair shop, who deals in VW/Audi repair.
That shop said it had a turbo stuck open and they would replace it at NO CHARGE.
After the turbo was replaced, the shop said my transmission was shot and needed to be replaced....now I'm ticked, because I am CONVINCED the original shop fried my transmission. And now the car can not be driven until we pay for THIS big time repair.
Car is being held hostage. Any ideas?