Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Typical life of 2.7T motor

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 09:26 PM
1st Gear
Default Typical life of 2.7T motor

What is the typical life of a stock 2.7t motor before things start to go wrong, or need replacing. I've read that the timing belt need replacing at around 110,000 or earlier and the turbos blow but besides timing belt when do normal problems, like tubos blowing, start to arise? And what are some more typical problems. What mileage does it get to the point wehre its almost not worth investing any more into fixing the engine?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks, Jake

Old 05-21-2007, 10:09 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Typical life of 2.7T motor

Honestly, you need to step back and review what you are asking. The longevity of any motor, not just a 2.7T, all depends on its owner. Any motor that is well maintained and respected by its owner can last 200,000 miles. I have a friend who put 300,000 miles on a 91 VW Jetta. It is now in VW heaven because he tackled that awhile back, but the owner of the car is its crucial link.

Todays cars especially the 2.7T motor can be modified to unbelievable amounts of Hp. All these things will put additional strain on the engine, but you can still combat this with simplemaintenance and the use of reliabe stronger aftermarket parts, and that includes turbos as well.

I can continue on this to go on forever, but I think you get the idea. Respect your car and your car will respect you!

OOOO

Old 05-21-2007, 11:43 PM
2nd Gear

YES!

I kid you not... There is a polish family that I know near me that has a 70's Vw Rabbit that has aorund 550 thousand miles on it and it still has ALL original parts on it... I KID YOU NOT! That is becuase he never drives it faster than 50 mph and takes good care of it. And VW even offered to buy it from him, so they could show what there cars can do. It is pretty amazing, I must say. Like he said, take care of it and these cars can last practically forever.

Old 05-22-2007, 06:15 AM
1st Gear

Ok thank! but when buying say a 2000 2.7T with about 100,000 miles what should I look for on the car for signs of problems and should I ask the owner how it was driven?

Jake

Old 05-22-2007, 08:54 AM
1st Gear

I would find a good inde mechanic to go over the car inside and out, top and bottom. They will be able to give you an honest assestment of the vehicle. As far as other issues, timing belt for example, hopefully the previous ownerkept his service records. It can be tough with any degree of accuracy to determinewhat work has been performed without keeping your records.

I keep everything, right down to simple oil changes, and thank god I have a great inde mechanic!

I hope this helps you out!

OOOO

Old 05-22-2007, 09:14 AM
2nd Gear

if u dont beat the hell out of it, it doesnt matter what you drive

Old 05-22-2007, 12:18 PM
3rd Gear

The turbos will blow when they feel like it.

THe engine is rock solid, & seams to have no real problems other then leaking oil. Sensors seam to go out now & then, usually are around $100. IT IS A VERY RELIABLE ENGINE. If taken care of, will take care of you.

Old 05-22-2007, 08:24 PM
1st Gear

I'm glad I stumbled over this thread b/c I didn't want to create another one. Sorry for the thread jack but I wanted to ask some questions also. I just recently bought a 1999 audi a6 2.7t (auto) with 120K milesfor my wife and got a good deal on it ($5k). It was a family hookup so I know it's reliable but for piece of mind I'm having it officially checked out by audi and having them do the 100 point inspection done on it ($100). I am concerned about regular maintenance which I plan on doing myself and the goal of this vehicle for me is comfort and style so my mods will surround those factors.

Around 120K miles I would like to know what should be done at this time. Let's assume worse case scenario the previous owner didn't take very good care of the vehicle which is hard to believe b/c it doesn't have much physical damage to it and is very clean inside exception of a broken mirror switch. I've already changed oil and filters, brake pads but not rotors (at least not yet). If you would like please post a reply here or reference this thread: https://www.audiforums.com/m_546307/tm.htm

As far as general knowledge is concerned:
are the A6's referenced with another name? Ex: my BMW03 325i is also known as an E46 m56 sedan.
Style wise are A6's and S6's similar?
Are there any other reputable audi forums?
Nice easy to navigate Audi A6 aftermarket site (that uses pictures)? I've checked the site sponsors page and checked out some of the sponsors but I'm notsatisfied with what I see. most mods are for A4's for example (not knocking a4's).

Best Regards,
-Kern-

Thanks for the help. I'm going to continue my reading.

Old 05-24-2007, 08:05 PM
3rd Gear

There are a number of threads on this forum on this subject. I launched one a couple months ago asking about turbo life and the best responder said he was still driving his OEM turbos at 130k. I was curious because I have 96k and plan on keeping my car for a long time.

If you want to know the recommended services, get a maintenance manual. E.g., mine calls for the timing belt at 105k. Critical to keep the oil clean and let the oil warm up before stressing the turbos.

Otherwise, it will experience wear similar to other cars. I had mine aligned this month and the mechanic said all the steering parts were tight, which surprised him due to the mileage. The only unnatural failure I had was the alternator at 60k, but it happened coincidental with a pothole. And I've had three tires (one Pirelli and two Coopers) fail, one due to a different pothole. Most of my driving is highway, and I accelerate conservatively but drive fast.

It's a great car - good looking and solid on the road, especially in snow. And comfortable.

Old 05-25-2007, 08:53 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for the info I'll search around for that thread that you made. This may seem like a stupid question and it probably has been asked before but,I was under the impression that not all Audi's were turbo'd. If this is true (besides looking for the turbo) how would I be able to tell if my wife's car is turbo'd? Also when I start the car daily I hear a winding sound like a jet engine. I'll get a sound clip later and post it here. Can I make the assumption that it's the turbo winding up? After about 2-3mins it goes away. I usually let the car warm up for about 2-5 mins before leaving. During winter should I allow the car to warm up for a longer period of time? I've never owned a turbo'd vehicle before so I'm looking for healthy practices to keep the motor strong. I'll start reading up a little more today. thanks for the info and any other opinions are appreciated.

Quick Reply: Typical life of 2.7T motor