Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgraded EVERY Interior Light to LED :o)

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 03:55 PM
1st Gear
Lightbulb Upgraded EVERY Interior Light to LED :o)

For those of you who have been wanting to get rid of those hideous factory halogen interior light bulbs and upgrade to L.E.D - I strongly advise doing so. I just received the Super-White Bulbs in the mail today (upgrade all of my Map Lights to Red LEDs a few days ago) - and I must say - she is beautiful

The LED bulbs were ordered from 42 Draft Designs (Order Page: http://www.42draftdesigns.com/categories/leds.htm ) as I found they had the best prices - and I remembered ordering from them when I upgraded my license plate bulbs to LED. Their Fuse Style come in 42mm & 39mm and range from $6-6.50/pc. Their 194 Wedge Style are only $4/pc! Other companies wanted $12++ for ONE Fuse! I'm telling you guys, go with 42DD - they specialize in V-dub & Audi Lighting. The only other place I shopped at was www.LEDLight.com for my Red Map Light bulbs - $8/ea. Those were pricey...

So anyhow, here is the list of everything done:

Front Dome Lights - (2) Two 42mm Super-White LED Fuse Style
Front Map Lights - (2) Two Red 1 Watt "Side Firing" BA9S LED (http://www.ledlight.com/ba9s-1-watt-...led-light.aspx)
Rear Dome Lights - (2) Two 39mm Super-White LED Fuse Style
Rear Map Lights - (2) Two Red 1 Watt "Side Firing" BA9S LED
Vanity/Mirror Bulbs - (2) Two 39mm Super-White LED Fuse Style
Glovebox - (1) One 39mm Super-White LED Fuse Style
F/R Foot Wells/Courtesies - (4) Four 39mm Super-White LED Fuse Style
F/R Puddle Lights (Doors) - (4) Four 194 Wedge Style Super-White LED
Trunk - (2) Two 39mm Super-White LED Fuse Style

If it stops raining, when it gets dark tonight I'll get some very good night pics taken

Thanks!

- Ben -

Last edited by 01A6Turbo; 10-15-2009 at 04:00 PM.
Old 10-15-2009, 03:59 PM
1st Gear

I do have these pics of only the red LED map lights though - I can not stress how beautiful the red glow they give off is - they really compliment the already expected red glow of any Audi - only now I can share it with other drivers lol

Sorry they are blurry - my digital had a hard time capturing it with it being pitch black out and the flash shut off.

Old 10-15-2009, 04:46 PM
1st Gear

Absloutly LOVE the clean LED look over the pasty yellow color. and im soo jealous of that radiant red glow.... do you know where i can find a list of the bulbs i would need for my 06 a6 or do i have to manually go in and do a count?

Old 10-15-2009, 05:08 PM
3rd Gear

Are the LEDs brighter than the oem lights? I really cannot go to red, though it looks cool, because my daughter does her homework under the maplights as we drive back and forth to Detroit for hockey practice.

Old 10-15-2009, 05:32 PM
1st Gear

trinituner, I really am not sure if your bulbs would be different than mine or not. You can start by using Sylvania.com's Light Replacement guide - or do what I did because I could not find any good threads on the subject for my exact model - so I just went outside and looked at all of the bulbs in each unit. To make sure the Glovebox, Vanity, Footwells, Rear Dome Lights were all the same, I would take one bulb out of one and put it into another area and see if it worked. I then knew I needed 10 39mm Fuse Style for those, 42mm for the two front domes, you can obviously tell they are longer then the others but the same kind of bulb...and then taking out one of the puddle lights, I could tell they were 194 wedge style so ordered 4 of them. All in all I'd say this product really will run you over $150 for everything to be replaced. Don't forget the map lights; which I just saw now 42DD does carry, however they are straight-pointing bulbs, so for map lights I'm not sure how well they will light the area below for you - that's why I went with LEDLight.com's "side firing" bulbs. G'luck to you!

== ADDENDUM ==

trinituner, I just looked up your 06 A6 on Sylvania (I hope you have HID headlamps) lol but anyhow, you have the exact same bulbs as mine - so everything I mentioned above, is what you would need to order Glad to help bro!

Last edited by 01A6Turbo; 10-15-2009 at 05:53 PM.
Old 10-15-2009, 05:37 PM
1st Gear

ppgoal: The LEDs are a lot brighter. As soon as night falls, I will take pics for you of the actual inside of the car - not just the light itself. The nice thing is LEDs last for like 50K hours because they use a lot less energy. In some people's Audi's, they complained that the bulb would still stay dimly lit after shutting off the power source/shutting the door - others said their light bulb out warnings came on. If that DOES happen, they can be fixed by going to radioshack and buying a 1 watt resister - however 42DD's bulbs already come w/ a resistor built-in, so I have seen no problems so far; and no warnings displayed.

About your daughter using the map lights - good for her! Glad she understands the importance of schooling However, you do not need to go w/ red...they also sell white ones. If you would decide to go red, the dome lights can still be turned on for her, however then your car would look like the lights of heaven are shining through it LOL Trust me, when both domes are turned on (front/rear) with these LEDs, you can see my car from like a mile away haha I even have dark windows...officers will enjoy this mod too I suppose!

- Ben -

=== ADDENDUM ===

LOL Here you go ppgoal, found you the perfect solution to your map light problem You can make your interior hot pink if you'd like, & your daughter could still do her homework perfectly fine. http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-C5_A6-...terior/ES1256/

Last edited by 01A6Turbo; 10-17-2009 at 08:43 AM.
Old 12-21-2009, 01:32 AM

Hi, I'm having trouble removing the trunk light lens to replace the bulb. I see the indent for a screwdriver, but it won't pop off, just bends. I'm afraid I'll break it. Any special tricks you used ?
thanks

Old 12-21-2009, 11:16 AM
1st Gear

NICE!!!! I'm about to order these lights once I finish my k04 install. Did you change your license plate light? I really like how Lexus's and other cars are using those leds and I saw that 42dd has these 39mm 14.5v license plate lights for vw's but i'm not sure if they are the same.

Old 12-21-2009, 12:19 PM

That's alot of change for interior lights...but it does look much cleaner. Do the lights still fade on and off?

Old 12-21-2009, 11:29 PM
Administrator

Looks really good - I like it a lot.

Quick Reply: Upgraded EVERY Interior Light to LED :o)