Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vacuum leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 01:28 PM
1st Gear
Default Vacuum leak

I just bought a very nice 01 A6, and I've come to find it's got a small vacuum leak that makes a slight whistle between 0-3 psi. And it's not every time, only about 50% of the time. I've just put on a samco TBB, checked all of the reachable hoses and still can't find it. Unfortunately, it's going to be incredible small... Is there a place that this might be a common occurrence? Has anyone else has this problem? Help will be greatly appreciated

Old 07-29-2008, 05:55 PM
Default RE: Vacuum leak

your description istoo technical and therefore looses the core details a simpledescription of the problem the car present may provide. to attract answers and suggestions to your problem,i suggest youpresent the problem in a manner the lay man can understand. as most people in these forums are just car enthusis. personally i will be glad to make suggestions, but can seem to understand the problem, except that there is an intermitentvacuum leek, have i understood correctly?

Old 07-29-2008, 06:05 PM
3rd Gear

I don't know about 2.7T but my 2.8 just had a leak around the hose goinginto the combi valve on bank 2. Combi valves are located behind each head, on both sides. On my 2.8, I have a line comming from the front of the intake running along the bank 1 side going into a valve/pump above the throttle body. Then it splits and goes into combi valves. Another line comes from the back on the motor, goes into the valve/pump and splits. Then it runs along the bank 2 side to the front of the motor to vacuum reservoir. Plastic lines running above the intake tends to get brittle and break too.

Are you getting any codes?

Old 07-29-2008, 11:37 PM
1st Gear

Very good info. Thanks a lot. I'll check what may relate to my motor. And no, I'm not getting any codes... I wish I were. It would make it a little easier.

And for you Kimi, for the laymans:

I'm getting a vacuum leak somewhere between one of the turbos @ 0-3 psi and the engine... I've checked the TBB, and some of the miniscule hoses connecting to the DV's. I'm very car saavy and have pretty much everything at my beckon call. Lifts, tools, you name it. If there is a more complex way to approach it, please let me know. I've got the means necessary. And to make it more urgent. I need to drive to Fla. (12 hours) on friday. and I want to get it fixed quick. Thanks in advanced!

Old 07-30-2008, 11:24 AM
3rd Gear

Did you get the leak after the TBB? If so I would start around there. You can sometimes find a leak by spraying a carb cleaner or any aerosol around vacuum hoses. If it is sprayed around the leak, then it will change idle speed.

Braided hoses and plastic lines used on our cars become really brittle. If you touch one of those, it will disintegrate. Just go to a local auto parts store and buy about 5 ft of 3/16" vacuum hose to replace those sections. It will cost you $5.

Old 08-15-2010, 10:34 PM

Maybe a related note. I have a 95 Audi A6 2.8, and while replacing some of the hoses I found one that runs from a metal pipe at the back of the motor (it looks like part of the injection system) and runs through a rubber grommet in the firewall back into the area beside the heater... and then nothing. I can't see anything it's supposed to be connected to.