Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VALVES SEEM TO KNOCK 2.7T NORMAL?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 11:35 AM
1st Gear
Default VALVES SEEM TO KNOCK 2.7T NORMAL?

I purchased a 2000 a6 2.7t quattro with 85k 4 month ago, I got the timing belt done at the same time, since first 2 month I noticed that the valves were knocking. i took it back to the dealer, and they said that water pump bearing was foulty on the new water pump9., at the same time they said that they replaced a chain in one of the banks. since then it got better but it seems that they are still knoking, compering to other cars, that is not normal. but when i checked my frinds a4 it did the same thing only not as loud, but i think thats becouseits aV4.

So that valves knoking is that normal, or is there a problem,? or im just being paranoid.
it is not laud laud, but you can hear it.

also i get vibrations when i go past 65mh. preaty much hole car vibrates. i did balancing on front two tires only, should i have done al 4 or did rotation. or is there something alse i missing/

any help would be apriciated.

Old 12-01-2007, 03:33 PM
Default RE: VALVES SEEM TO KNOCK 2.7T NORMAL?

valve knocking i have the same problum but have an apontment to have the cam seals replaced on tursday so may be that should help will let u know good luck

Old 12-03-2007, 02:52 AM
1st Gear

I thought the valves on my A6 were excessivly noisy and it bugged me pretty bad.......what you need to do is get a mechanics stethoscope and listen for where its comming from. It turned out on mine that it was the injectors making all the noise, when you put the stethoscope on them they sounded like jack hammers. Also, valves tend to make more noise if you run low octane gas in them. If you arent running premium, then try that and see if the noise quiets down at all.

As for the vibration you are feeling, if you feel it more in the steering wheel it will be related to the front tires. If you feel it in the seat it will probably be related to the rear tires. Make sure that your air pressure is good in all the tires and have them balanced again. I am assuming this is with stock wheels also.....

Old 12-03-2007, 04:21 PM
1st Gear

Add some oil.

Old 12-18-2007, 11:39 PM
1st Gear

I found out what cose the turbelance, i rotated the tires, and the turbelance wento to the back, it followed the tires, it seems the shop that did my balancing screwd up.As to the knocking pistons, well, my friend just bought a 2007 A4 2.0T and two weeks ago, and gues what, same thing, valves are knoking as well. seem that all german cars have loud engines, but quiet interiors.

Old 12-19-2007, 02:43 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: teck101

I found out what cose the turbelance, i rotated the tires, and the turbelance wento to the back, it followed the tires, it seems the shop that did my balancing screwd up.As to the knocking pistons, well, my friend just bought a 2007 A4 2.0T and two weeks ago, and gues what, same thing, valves are knoking as well. seem that all german cars have loud engines, but quiet interiors.
your rim might be bent if the turbelance went to the back.

Old 12-19-2007, 09:16 PM
1st Gear

this is going to sound stupidly easy, but i've seen improperly torqued spark plugs cause helacious valve train noise. i would the torques on them really quick before tearing it back apart again. also, could you also be hearing the injectors? they're definitely not loud, but the do have a subtle tick to them. hope this helps.
-mike