Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are my "normal" operating temps normal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 10:33 PM
1st Gear
Arrow Are my "normal" operating temps normal?

Ok this one really has me worried. Since I got the car it has always operate with the coolant temp at the first mark past half and the oil temp at exactly half. It never rose or fluctuated, just warmed up to this point and stayed there.
Well today my car overheated just as I got home, I was stuck in some bad traffic and just as I was parking the warning came on the dash and I notice the temp gauge at one mark before H . So i came on here to search and it seems like everyone gets worried if there temp goes anywhere past half. Ive also seen a few people mention 250 being too hot for the oil temp.

So, was I runnign hot all along? Also today was the first day since I had the car that I drove witht he climate control off. Could this have affected anything?

Thanks in advance for the help. You guys always seem to have good info.

Old 04-18-2009, 12:38 AM
3rd Gear

My 2.8 water temp is always exactly at half. Oil temp is somewhere between 200 and 225

Old 04-18-2009, 12:26 PM
2nd Gear

If you have a 2.7T look near the accordion hose which is located inbetween the MAF (mass air flow) and the Y-pipe. You can prob flash a light and see your coolant sensor. You should be able to see dried pink stuff or a possible problem with the coolant sensor. It could be possible your sensor is bad and giving you bad readings. This is a good start to locate the problems. Has the car been leaking any liquids where you have been stopping? If you don;'t know put a piece of cardboard under your car after driving it pretty hard or for awhile. Gl Sam K

Old 04-19-2009, 09:18 PM
1st Gear

I have been wondering something similar my self. my temp gauge never going above the halfway point which seams normal. However I have only ever once seen my oil temperature gauge move above the 150 mark (when I had driven from Philadelphia to Long Island only stopping once) and only after sitting on my friends drive idling for around 5 minutes. Anyone know how to test if the Oil temp censer is working?
the needle always moves onto the scale when I start the car so I know the gauge is working.

Thanks
James

Old 04-19-2009, 09:41 PM
1st Gear

Well, if it helps I know mine is broke. I overheated again in traffic yesterday and she's is in the shop. I suspect either the clutch fan or the water pump. So its either a $100 job or a $1000 job . Sad part is I bought this daily to save money and stop driving my project car.

Old 04-20-2009, 05:00 PM
3rd Gear

Not sure what you're driving or mileage, but if you have to replace the water pump you might as well do the timing belt and and all related tensioners. It's incremental to getting at the water pump (I am pretty sure).

Old 04-20-2009, 11:31 PM
1st Gear
Arrow

Originally Posted by ppgoal
Not sure what you're driving or mileage, but if you have to replace the water pump you might as well do the timing belt and and all related tensioners. It's incremental to getting at the water pump (I am pretty sure).
Yea, I read that alot on here so i was planning for it, but thankfully it was just the clutch fan. $210.00 from the dealer I am a very happy camper right now.

Old 04-21-2009, 12:55 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Bklynrx7
Yea, I read that alot on here so i was planning for it, but thankfully it was just the clutch fan. $210.00 from the dealer I am a very happy camper right now.
Don't get too happy -- Remember it's an Audi and it will get you in the end! LOL