Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Very Dim Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 09:54 AM
1st Gear
Default Very Dim Headlights

I have a 1996 A-6 Quattro Wagon. My low beams are very dim and most of the time I have to run with the assistance of the fog lights. The high beams are acceptable.

I don't want to modify the car to use the HID lights. Will replacing the bulbs with a new pair of bulbs (I'm thinking the 5000K Sylvania bulbs) help? Thanks.

Old 12-26-2011, 10:54 PM
1st Gear
Default Halogen

German made 'Flosser' headlight bulbs 'Ultra +90%' ... your local Audi dealers should carry these.

The dealer in my area sells them about $55 for a pair.

Old 12-27-2011, 08:42 AM
1st Gear

New bulbs will help...but what kind of shape are your headlight lenses in? If they are extremely hazed or yellowed this could be your problem. If so, there are numerous resoration kits sold in auto part stores and even Walmart. I used 3M's kit, paid about $20 and had great results with it.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:58 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by TwinTurboC5
New bulbs will help...but what kind of shape are your headlight lenses in? If they are extremely hazed or yellowed this could be your problem. If so, there are numerous resoration kits sold in auto part stores and even Walmart. I used 3M's kit, paid about $20 and had great results with it.
The lens are in perfect condition. There is no yellowing or hazing at all. The light bulbs are just dim. High beams are great.

Old 12-28-2011, 11:37 PM
2nd Gear

I would consider getting a HID kit installed, I just got mine today and WOW the light output is soooooo much better than regular bulbs. I literally light up the whole road in front of me

Old 12-29-2011, 12:25 AM
1st Gear

Basically if the HID kit isn't OEM INSTALLED, then it is street illegal ...

My understanding is that NHTSA has threatened to fine sellers of "HID conversion kits" $10,000 per kit sold.

You CANNOT install a HID bulb in a headlight designed for a halogen bulb. There is no way you can control the light output properly and you end up blinding oncoming cars and you cannot see properly yourself. Read the fine print on some of these websites selling them..not legal for on-road use....where else do you use a car? They are an illegal & unsafe install.

Interps which say CONVERSION KITS are not compliant with NHTSA's FMVSS108.
see-

http://isearch.nhtsa.gov/files/Shih.3.html

http://isearch.nhtsa.gov/files/deetz.ztv.html

http://isearch.nhtsa.gov/files/kim.ztv.html

On this issue, enforcement could vary state to state depending on your state's motor vehicle statutes and motor vehicle regulations. Some states have regulations adopting FMVSS 108 into their laws by reference and if a lighting device does not meet FMVSS 108 you could be ticketed. That would be IF the officers in your area are aware of this. In CT there is no training on DMV Regulations and the Motor Vehicle statutes on equipment are treated lightly with no practical info on current equipment violation trends or inspection methods. But from CA where there is a large street racer culture. If one gets stopped by a CA officer who regularly deals with this clientel he or she will probably be able to determine if the lights are a conversion kit.

A friend is a cop in his area, it is the color of the lights that draw enforcement attention.
A true HID light casts a white light (looks like light blue tint). There are cheap imitations which are a plain bulb with a blue coating and these cast a blue light. When he stops a car with suspect headlights He holds a piece of white paper in front of the light. If the paper turns blue, that is illegal and driver gets "Norked" (gets a ticket).

DOT certification / certified does not equal to street legal. It simply mean it is safe to install to the vehicle.
http://www.squidoo.com/dot-approved-hid-kit-and-bulbs

The truth is, installing ANYTHING into a vehicle that was not originally equipped with them from the factory is technically illegal. However, they are selling these kits for OFF Road, race and exhibition use only. Aftermarket vendors recommend that you make sure that you have the appropriate headlight assembly for your vehicle and that your headlights are properly aligned after installation.

Last edited by bigdadi; 12-29-2011 at 12:47 AM.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:48 AM
1st Gear

Does anyone have a suggestion then for what a good, legal headlight conversion kit would be? My right headlight is out, and it is facotry original. I don't feel like paying $100 for a bulb, and I've heard that you can install HID conversion kits for much cheaper. However, I want it to be street legal and avoid being the blue-lighted DB on the road.

Thanks

Old 01-06-2012, 12:35 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Dpavlak
Does anyone have a suggestion then for what a good, legal headlight conversion kit would be? My right headlight is out, and it is facotry original. I don't feel like paying $100 for a bulb, and I've heard that you can install HID conversion kits for much cheaper. However, I want it to be street legal and avoid being the blue-lighted DB on the road.

Thanks
i think autozone sells halogen bulbs for the a6 with 4100k. its made by silvania ultra star or what not. i would think these ultrastars with 4100k provide much brighter output than the stock (3000k?) output. but im pretty sure the 4100 will not have the same life as the stock bulbs do.

also im about to get my lights changed to the 4100k would i need to remove the bumper to do so?

also the silvania is about 40 dollars for both side bulbs.

Old 01-06-2012, 04:29 PM
3rd Gear

Read and study this.

Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

FYI, C4 headlight housing was notorious for being dim. Depending on the amount of money that you want to invest in it, but the best option is to replace the housing lens with an euro lens and to use a good quality bulb. Most of the "high performance" bulbs are garbage.

ECStuning carries euro lenses.

ECS C4 Euro Lens