Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want to buy A6-Advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 02:35 AM
Default Want to buy A6-Advice

Hi All,

I currently have an BMW E46 which I am now thinking of changing & I must admit I do like the new A6.
I have been torn between changing to a 5 series or the A6 & to be honest it seems you get a lot more for your money with the audi when looking on the stealers website at the used car section.

My budget is approx 23K & the A6 would have to have SAT NAV & Phone prep as my BMW currently has these fitted & I have got used to having them, especially as I am up & down the country.

So, some questions if you would be so kind to answer.

1) All all the sat nav systems the same in all the A6 cars? are some CD or DVD based? Any info on this what to look out for.

2) I have noticed that some say GSM phone prep. Is this similar to the bmw where you just plug your phone into a cradle & it loads it up onto the headunit?

3) As I have not had time to go to a dealer (nearest one being 45mile away) I am going only by the Audi website so what I would also like to know is are there any steering wheel buttons? for phone etc etc

4) as I am looking for 2006/2007 models are these the latest or is there a face lift due at any point? I always have a habbit of buying & then something new/better comes out

5) I also want an auto gearbox but I have norticed the site says Automatic/Tiptronic/multitronic what is the difference?

6) The cars I have seen & intrested in is the 2.0TDi S-LIne models, I take it this is ample power for a big car?

Sorry for all the questions but best to ask those who drive these cars everyday.

Thank in advance
Mike[/align]

Old 02-05-2008, 03:06 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Want to buy A6-Advice

ok, well first off, welcome to the site. now to answer some of your questions to the best of my knowledge.

1) audi's have come with 3 seperate nav systems. there is the RNS-C, RNS-D, and RNS-E. The RNS-E is the most current model, and is DVD based, where its 2 predicessors were CD based. Since you're looking at the newer '06/'07 models, if it has navigation, it will be the current RNS-E model. bluetooth is the standard for phone syncing with the car, which most new a6s have. i do believe almost all of them are prewired for satellite radio as well.

2) i'm not entirely sure what the GSM phone prep is, the only thing i can think of is that maybe other bluetooth car systems weren't compatible with GSM phones. like i said, bluetooth is the native way to sync the phone to the car, so it's all wireless.

3) there are steering wheel buttons, have been for a very long time. i believe on the '06/'07 models, you have and up/down button (for radio seeking and so forth), a mode button, an +/- button for volume, and what i believe is a voice recognition button (which i think doubles as the phone button).

4) the '06/'07s are the latest body style, but i'm not sure when there's going to be another facelift, so maybe someone else can chime in on that one.

5) the automatic in the a6's is a tiptronic automatic, which basically just means that you can shift the transmission manually if you so choose. there's also a CVT transmission, which iswhat is referred to as a multitronic transmission, which is nice and smooth with no noticeable gear shifts, but it's very expensive to fix. unless you plan on getting rid of the car before it gets out of warranty, i'd stay away from that transmission.

6) not sure about whether i'd consider this enough power or not. i guess it just depends on how you like a car to drive, because with the tdi, you're going to have lots of bottom end torque, which will be good for acceleration, but i've never riden in a 2.0tdi a6 before, so i can't tell you how it would perform, and i can't find any specs anywhere.

hopefully this helps you out a little bit. i'm sure i missed some things, but i'm positive that other members will add things.
-mike