Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird Sound When I drive

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 04:40 PM
Default Weird Sound When I drive

Hi Guys,
When I drive my car I hear like a squeeky noise like metal is not lubricated sort of a high pitch metal rubbing together on the front...
Whistle metal rubbing together that goes on a beat (wheeeeeeek wheek wheeeeek wheek Wheeeeeeek) kind of like that.
Could it be like a CV boot?
Anyone have experienced it before.
Thanks-

Old 01-10-2007, 05:48 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Weird Sound When I drive

Generally when a CV Boot goes bad you'll hear a clunking noise when you turn your wheels either right or left. The noise you describe could be anything. Maybe ball bearings, bad rotors, control bushings...who knows. Do you have a good indy mechanic?

Old 01-10-2007, 05:55 PM

I thought this would be a good place to join the forum because i also have a weird sound when I drive my 1999 Audi A6 Avant station wagon with only 80K miles.

When the steering wheel i turned to the right during turns, I hear a "chirping" sound coming from the center of the dashboard area. One other point to note is that the warning snowflake on the display blinks continuously at warmer temperatures -- even 60 degrees F, but properly stays lit at lower temperatures.

Have no idea what the problem is and since the car drives perfectly, I am hesitant to start incurring diagnostics costs at the Audi dealer.

Thought it might be related to the ABS system which seems to be operating correctly when the brakes are firmly applied on slippery roads, but until I hear some knowledgeable direction, I'm hesitant to do anything.

Old 01-10-2007, 08:16 PM

Yeah I have a good mechanic, I should just turn it in to them...
It's just that I spend so much already fixing my car
When I turn my steering wheel there's no problem no sound just that when the car is moving straight forward...

Old 01-10-2007, 09:20 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: madridlover

Generally when a CV Boot goes bad you'll hear a clunking noise when you turn your wheels either right or left. The noise you describe could be anything. Maybe ball bearings, bad rotors, control bushings...who knows. Do you have a good indy mechanic?
oh oh, mine does that

Old 01-10-2007, 10:00 PM
2nd Gear

A6lovely, I would check the brakes, the squealer may be touching. If it is an older car you may not have brake pad sensors and when you drive it may be just enough to touch the rotor.

Al-gordon, if the chirping sound happens anytime you turn the wheel (not necessarily driving) then I would assume it is the boot around the intermediate shaft at the base of the steering column where the shaft goes through the fire wall, it can be lubed with a quality silicone lubricant to stop the noise.

Old 01-11-2007, 12:25 AM

Yeah, I have the 98Q 2.8 but I think I have the brake sensor...
I hope it's something minor I just replaced my upper and lower control arm about a month ago...
That ish cost me a lot of hard working dough...

ORIGINAL: tractioncontrol

A6lovely, I would check the brakes, the squealer may be touching. If it is an older car you may not have brake pad sensors and when you drive it may be just enough to touch the rotor.

Al-gordon, if the chirping sound happens anytime you turn the wheel (not necessarily driving) then I would assume it is the boot around the intermediate shaft at the base of the steering column where the shaft goes through the fire wall, it can be lubed with a quality silicone lubricant to stop the noise.

Old 02-21-2008, 11:04 PM
1st Gear

May be that the power steering is low