Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird Suspension/Drive Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 12:13 AM
2nd Gear
Default Weird Suspension/Drive Problems

I replaced my passenger side axle a few weeks ago because of a bad CV joint and ever since I've had the weirdest problem I've ever had with a car. When I drive the car everything seems fine, however about 15ish minutes into the trip it starts violently shaking as if the wheel is going to fall off or something. It feels really bad at slow speeds and above 45 or so it's a little less noticable (although I tend not to drive over 45 when it's doing that). It will do that until I park the car and let it sit for just a few minutes. Then the process repeats itself.

Another odd thing is that when it is shaking, it is much worse when it is in gear than when coasting in neutral. If I am accelerating or just leave the car in gear to slow down it's awful. I've double and triple checked the axle install and everything seems well. I even replaced my upper control arms this past weekend hoping that was the problem and it didn't work either (but needed to be done regardless).

Does anyone out there have a suggestion as to wtf it could possibly be?? This is seriously going to drive me crazy. Oh...another problem is that when I punch it at WOT I hear a "click click click" noise coming from underneath - kind of like a bad CV joint sounds. Anyway, all suggestions are very welcome. TIA...

Old 04-25-2007, 03:15 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Weird Suspension/Drive Problems

In case anyone cares or happens to search for this problem in the future, I balanced my wheel today and it seems to have helped. We'll see in the long run I guess.

Old 04-25-2007, 03:29 AM
4th Gear

So it stopped then? Sounds like that was it.

I read your post, but didn't have a good answer, after reading all you had done. I guess I was ovelooking the more obvious simple solution.

Glad it was an easy fix for you.

Old 04-25-2007, 03:36 AM
3rd Gear

lol, ya dude balancing your wheel is the first thing anybody should have said, but after reading your original post i was stumped, lol... didnt know what to say..

has it continued to be fixed?

Old 04-26-2007, 02:56 AM
2nd Gear

Best I can tell it seems to be fixed. I feel like a dumbass for not trying that before spending so much time replacing control arms and going over the axle like 5 times.