Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird Starting Issue 2001 A6

Old 12-09-2012, 10:50 AM
1st Gear
Default Weird Starting Issue 2001 A6

Hope that I'm posting this in the correct place.

I have a 2001 A6, 2.8 Quattro that I'm having difficulty starting. It cranks, but turns slow, proceeded by a metal on metal grinding sound. Once I hear that sound, I stop and then try to start again and it starts; hesitantly, but it starts. Cold weather seems to affect starting the vehicle. If it's cold out, it takes a few more tries to get it started.

More recently, the engine wouldn't crank at all. In frustration, I slammed on the brake pedal while trying to start the engine and it started cranking, with clicking noise... The tachometer was jumping up and down as well. Since then, I've had to slam on the brake pedal a few times to get it to crank.

Today, I have nothing. I can hit the brake and nothing... I'm trying to figure out if it's an electrical (relay) issue, the solenoid, or the starter itself.

Any ideas?

Old 12-09-2012, 09:02 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by jimmyjam1
Hope that I'm posting this in the correct place.

I have a 2001 A6, 2.8 Quattro that I'm having difficulty starting. It cranks, but turns slow, proceeded by a metal on metal grinding sound. Once I hear that sound, I stop and then try to start again and it starts; hesitantly, but it starts. Cold weather seems to affect starting the vehicle. If it's cold out, it takes a few more tries to get it started.

More recently, the engine wouldn't crank at all. In frustration, I slammed on the brake pedal while trying to start the engine and it started cranking, with clicking noise... The tachometer was jumping up and down as well. Since then, I've had to slam on the brake pedal a few times to get it to crank.

Today, I have nothing. I can hit the brake and nothing... I'm trying to figure out if it's an electrical (relay) issue, the solenoid, or the starter itself.

Any ideas?
Is the battery good? Try jump starting the car. If it starts, you need a new battery

Old 12-10-2012, 11:15 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for your response.

The battery is only a few months old. And has worked fine. Additionally, I have power to everything when I turn the car on.

I did hook up an external jumper box this morning and the car started, but not with me hitting the brake pedal a few times and the ticking and grinding noises. I took a video and will upload it soon. I'm thinking it's a power issue? Possibly the solenoid?

Old 12-10-2012, 11:40 AM
1st Gear
Default Video

Here's a video of the clicking and grinding sounds. The tachometer occasionally jumps while trying to start the car.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:52 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by jimmyjam1
Here's a video of the clicking and grinding sounds. The tachometer occasionally jumps while trying to start the car.

Audi A6 Starting Issue - YouTube
Definitely does not sound healthy. I hate to turn someone away from this forum, but i would post this over at audizine with the video as it makes a more clearer picture than words. The b5 a4 section has the most traffic so i'd check there.

Have you scanned the car for codes?

Old 12-11-2012, 09:47 PM
1st Gear

No, Haven't scanned the car for codes. I'm taking her in tomorrow. I'm a DIY guy, but this is over my head I think. I'll update when I find out what's wrong.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:04 AM
1st Gear

The grinding noise definitely sounds like the cam chain tensioner on the drivers side. Try unplugging the solenoid on the tensioner and see if the sound goes away. I have an 01 2.8 a6 with the exact same issue right now. The hard cold starts cold be a number of things. Does your coolant temp gauge act up? A likely cold start problem is a bad coolant temp sensor.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:11 PM
1st Gear

It was bad connection to the starter.