Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what is this and why...

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 07:57 PM
1st Gear
Default what is this and why...

is there a fine oily mist on it?

I noticed the valve just under the silver y pipe and slightly in front of the firewall (center/rear of the engine bay) has an oily mist on it and its a-joining hoses. I assume it is a breather valve of some kind and may be possibly plugged. The valve has five hoses going in to it. 2 hoses on either side and 1 hoses going into the center.

Also, the valve that comes off of the right side of the silver y pipe looks similar to the valve slightly beneath it. (has a fine oily mist on it) Could this be plugged too? It looks really loose and looks like it may just fall out of the y pipe.

There are pictures of the 2 valves here:

https://www.audiforums.com/forum/members/coors-39786-albums-coors-357/

Thanks
E

Last edited by Coors; 11-20-2008 at 08:04 PM.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:24 PM
Site Moderator

Thats the PCV valve and hose assembly, on the 2.7T you have to buy the entire assembly together. Search on www.ecstuning.com they have them there.
They do get plugged pretty easilly, and it causes an oil consumption problem.

Old 11-20-2008, 11:26 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by auditech79
Thats the PCV valve and hose assembly, on the 2.7T you have to buy the entire assembly together. Search on www.ecstuning.com they have them there.
They do get plugged pretty easilly, and it causes an oil consumption problem.
Just ordered the kit from ecs, thank you

Old 11-24-2008, 09:15 PM
1st Gear

I just recieved my new breather hose assembly from ECS Tuning. I have a 01 C5 2.7T w/ 6 spd MTM. There was only one set-up listed on their site that is for the manual application. So, I know I ordered with the right part number

On the new assembly I have an extra nipple coming off of the top of 5-way valve. My old application does not have this.

Any ideas what to do with this exposed nipple?

My old set-up does not have this nipple. I would assume that this is for some sort of vacuum line.

What can I do about this exposed nipple. Will oil spew out of it if I do not plug it?

Take a look! Theres a picture of the new valve assembly and the old assembly here:

The first picture shows the new valve and the last picture shows the current valve

https://www.audiforums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=357

Old 11-25-2008, 12:33 AM
Site Moderator

Just plug the hole, that happens with our parts a lot.

Old 01-09-2009, 02:36 PM
1st Gear

Never got around to installing this. There is no way this is going to work on this car. The breather that comes off the Y-pipe comes straight out. The new one looks like it goes on to a Y-pipe set-up that has an offset breather assembly.

Is there 2 different breather assemblies? One for the straight out breather assembly on the Y-pipe and one for the offset breather assembly Y-pipe.

I just cannot make sense of this. Also some of the lines on the new assembly are way to long for my application. Even, if i cut the new assembly lines to fit, there would be no way to secure the tubing to the engine. Hose clamps won't work because its a heavy duty plastic.

What the hell?

AUDITECH79, PM SENT

Last edited by Coors; 01-09-2009 at 02:49 PM.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:21 PM
2nd Gear

The dealers offer that spyder pipe (assembly) in 3 versions after the climate particulars.
Having wrong application would lead to same old problems => overpressure and gasket leakages.

Old 01-09-2009, 04:37 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by nemohm
The dealers offer that spyder pipe (assembly) in 3 versions after the climate particulars.
Having wrong application would lead to same old problems => overpressure and gasket leakages.
I bought the assembly from ecs. They only had one for the manual. After running into this issue I went to my local dealer to comparer the parts. They didn't have one in stock for the manual, but the parts dept did show me a diagram of the part and it was the same one that I had in my hand.

I can't figure this out for the life of me. I know that my current part has not been modified by the previous owner because there are Audi/VW stampings all over it.

I have another 2000+ miles till my next oil change otherwise, I would just pay my mechanic to do this. My mechanic is 45+ miles away. I thought I would be able to just swap one out for the other. Go figure!

I have oil all over the current one, and it looks like the breather is just hanging off the side of the Y-pipe. So it needs to be changed out soon!

Last edited by Coors; 01-09-2009 at 04:40 PM.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:11 PM
Site Moderator

Yeah there is only one for the manual model, it should be the correct one. Have you taken the old one out yet? I haven't had a problem getting one in yet, although its not an easy part to install if you haven't done one yet.

Old 01-11-2009, 11:15 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by auditech79
Yeah there is only one for the manual model, it should be the correct one. Have you taken the old one out yet? I haven't had a problem getting one in yet, although its not an easy part to install if you haven't done one yet.
Nah, I haven't removed my current one yet. It's a little intimidating, being as the new one is completly different. Everyone keeps telling me this is the right one, you included. I think I'm going to let my mechanic handle it.

Its just that the main breather that comes off my silver y-pipe comes straight out. The new one fits on the angle silver y-pipe. I just dont see it fitting.

I guess thats why you are saying its sort of a challenge to install this guy.

Thanks for your help, man.

Eric

Last edited by Coors; 01-11-2009 at 11:31 AM.