Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WHAT IS WRONG WITH MY DAMN SUSPENSION!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 10:07 AM
1st Gear
Default WHAT IS WRONG WITH MY DAMN SUSPENSION!!!!

Its been forever, like for 5 months.. my wheels keep ****ing up. EverytimeI get the wheel bearing fixed it seems to just make that same problem. Not to mention, after getting my control arms fixed from a second hand shop (got the parts at blauparts.com) its been riding weird as hell every since. I thought it would ride smoothly and be better, but no, it rides even worse and it feels like as if its not even using the shocks that I bought brand new last year. Is it because the tightening/torque pressure? Everything is replaced, but why is the wheel bearing still making rattling noises in the wheel evertime i go over a small bump inthe road. Not to mention my front wheels have now been smoothed out, like racing wheels, thats just great....whew... thanks for reading.. I think Im going to take it to Audi of Columbia, SC. but has anyone been there before? I dont want to get raped by the charges, especailly with the diagnostic fee and all that..........plus i still owe $11,700 on this 2001 Audi A6 with 148,000 miles..a lot huh.. i been trying to look around so i can trade it in for a another one and roll the negative equity on it... but its just been a hard 5 months for me.... please help

Old 07-22-2007, 02:35 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: WHAT IS WRONG WITH MY DAMN SUSPENSION!!!!

This wouldn't happen to be a 4.2L A6 would it?

Old 07-22-2007, 04:59 PM
1st Gear

uh sell you mine? I still owe on it.. hahah that would be great though.... but what year is your car and what is it? no, its a 2.8L regular automatic 2001 A6.... do you have any advice on what i posted as my problem?

Old 07-22-2007, 08:05 PM
Site Moderator

I was gonna say 4.2L A6's wear the front tires fast because of the engine weight, but since its a 2.8L i would say you or someone else installed the upper control arms with the wrong pre-tension on the bushings.
You have to install them at a 20-30 degree angle from the strut tower, if it isn't the steering can feel loose, tires and or bushings in the upper control arms would wearfaster as aresult.

Old 07-22-2007, 08:57 PM
1st Gear

Thanks a lot, I see that you are tech certified. I hope you dont mind me asking one more question. The wheel bearing is rattling, but Ive had it replaced before at a second hand shop. When I go to take it in, will they make me change out the whole assembly for the control arm just for that wheel bearing? How much does it cost usually to get all the tensions correct and change the wheel bearing?

Thanks A Lot
Daniel

Old 07-22-2007, 10:30 PM
Site Moderator

The wheel bearing replacement should only be done by someone that regularly works on audi's, they only replace just the wheel bearing. Costs around75 for the bearing and 100 to put it in.
Fixing the upper control arm tension requires changing the upper control arms.
If you were to relieve the current tension on the bushing and change it....it would probably wear out with in 5 thousand miles, which is not ideal.