Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiper motor slowing

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 05:23 PM
1st Gear
Default Wiper motor slowing

My wiper motor slowed right dowm .. I left the car after a couple of weeks and when I got back it would only move about a mm... the linkage was seizing so time to fix .. Actually if you see your wipers slowing fix NOW don't wait until they stop.

Pretty easy actually. I will outline while it is still fresh in my mind.

1 disconnect battery ( I always do so make sure you have your radio code. )
2. remove plastic covers.
3. pop covers off base of wipers and remove nut ( 13mm )
4. spray in pb blaster and work wiper arms off shaft, this is why you are doing it in the first place .. those shafts are seizing.
5. remove plastic cover off wiper shafts along windshield .
6. remove 5 or 6 8mm screws from computer cover
7. remove 10 mm nuts one on inside and one on outside of compuer box
8. lift computer box off studs and work rubber standoff out at front of box
9. pull whole box forward a few inches ( you are doing this so you can get the linkage out )
10. remove 3 bolts ( 13mm maybe ) holding wiper assembly in place. wiggle assembly out over moved box and unplug.

Now you have the beast in front of you and you can replace motor , grease linkage , or whatever. here is what i did. You may want to take some digital pics of the asemby for orientation but i didn't. I have confidence in my ability to figure out the linkage.

1. loosen nut holding motor on to drive linkage,
2. remove 3 bolts holding motor on bracket
3. remove nut you loosened in step one and work linkage off spline on motor .

for me the external linkages were good but the swivel points the arms sit on were seized in the housing.

1. remove "jesus clip" with 2 small screwdrivers in slot around base of swivel point where the arm goes on ( it might need to be cleaned to see. be carfull removing this and cover with your hand of rag or you will find out why they call it a jesus clip ... you wil be saying " jesus" as it flies into oblivion)
2. remove flat washer
3. pick out rubber o ring with a pick . one of mine was destroyed but i happened to have one in my plumbing box that fit perfect. ( ironically the one that was seized had the in tact o ring )
4. pull out shaft from housing from underneath. ( one of mine was seized so i had to work it for an hour with pb blaster and my propane torch
5. Once out clean the pins on a wire wheel if available , emery cloth or whatever you have .
6. Coat libeally with molycoat or some other high quality meatal on metal grease.
7.slip pins back into cleaned up housing hopefully you know which one goes where from your pic.
8. replace oring flat washer and jesus clip
9. put motor back on bracket, put arm back on spline and SNUG down .
10. Place giant piece of cardboard on the top of your engine. hook up assemby and arrange on cardboard so linkage is up and motor is undrneath ( the card board is acting like a table. )
11. recconect battery and test using mist . ensure arms start out in one direction , do a full sweep and come back without going past starting point ( if it does your wipers will work incorectly and hit your plastic cover.
12. correct by adjusting arm on spline and tighten nut once you have the throw perfect.

Now it is time to put it all back

13. place mechanism back in car with 3 bolts
14. place computer box back in position and secure with 2 10 mm nuts
15. put wiper arms back on and tighten down,
16 replace plastic covers on wiper arm nuts and plastic cover under the hood
17 . Go have a beer . pat yourself on the back and post here that you saved yourself a few bucks.

ice ..

Last edited by Theiceman; 06-26-2010 at 05:31 PM.