Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wors tthign ever happened

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 11:01 PM
2nd Gear
Default wors tthign ever happened

so i put in my samco TBB the other day and everythign was fine pu tmy car started running like **** ... so i go look at it and it was slipping off the y pipe bc it was hard to get on there (you need to put on the y pipe side first and then clamp the other 2 pipes i learned this the second time around it makes it esier ) well everthing was fine i had everythign clamped down and i was putting the bracket back on that secures the TBB sensor and one of the allen screws slipped out of my hand !!!!!!! i didnt hear it hit anythign and i looked everywhere and cant find it ... i took off the DV on the passenger side to allow more accessability well i think the screw fell into either one of the tubes comign off the DV so it either went into my intercooler or down to my turbo ... i havent stasrted the car and plan on going to pepboys and geting a magnent stick and shoving it down there

can anyone shed some light on this situation i am so pissed i cant even describe it in words ... i was having the best day ever and then this happens

the tube coming off the TBB and the bottom (vertical) of the DV is the intercooler right? if it fell in there im not as worried as if it fell in the turbo (the tube coming off the side(horizontal) of the DV

please anyone respond to ease my stress ... i wanted my car to be running for my 19' rims im getting delivered tomorrow !! if i need to pay 1500 bucks in labor to get the damn turbo taken off the rims go back!

Old 03-15-2008, 12:12 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: wors tthign ever happened

Is it possible that it just fell but didn't actually make it to the garage floor, but didn't go in your turbo? There are a million places it could land between where you dropped it and the floor. If it were me, I'd probably give the key a half a turn and listen for any crazy loud noise and then you'd know for sure. I woudln't think half a crank of the motor would ruin the turbo. That sucks though man, too bad.

Old 03-15-2008, 12:43 AM

ORIGINAL: Husker Z

Is it possible that it just fell but didn't actually make it to the garage floor, but didn't go in your turbo? There are a million places it could land between where you dropped it and the floor. If it were me, I'd probably give the key a half a turn and listen for any crazy loud noise and then you'd know for sure. I woudln't think half a crank of the motor would ruin the turbo. That sucks though man, too bad.
NO! Bolts in a turbo can and will ruin them immediately if the turbo starts to spin. Remember that that turbo spins INCREDIBLY fast. Simply remove the intake hose all the way from the turbo and take a look. Not worth the replacement cost of the new turbo, or the new intercooler if it gets clogged in a line.

Old 03-15-2008, 02:57 AM
2nd Gear

how do I take that off .... will I need to like remove the airbox and a bunch of other crap to get to that ? step by step if u have the time lol

I obviously can't sleep

Old 03-15-2008, 03:29 AM
SoCal Crew Member

You need to search like a bloodhound for that damn allen screw. Start with the easiest places to look for it first and work you way toward the more daunting searches. Once you have to start tearing stuff apart, go for the pipes you are worried about to either confirm or disprove its prsence there. That really does suck and it is an often overlooked potential problemn with DYI.

On a side note, I dropped something doing the same project and found it by aiming my shop light down into the engine bay where I found it sitting on top of the lower engine cover. I was able to fish it out with a coat hanger. Good luck bro- I feel your pain.

Old 03-15-2008, 10:33 AM
2nd Gear

well i took off the plastic cover that covers the bottom and nothing was on it or around my floor anywhere ... the only reason i think its in there is because i didnt here it clank or make any noise which it would have if it hit a metal part of the engine ... im going to get a magnetic stick now and i guess we will see what turns up ....

lets say i cant find this screw ... what should i do? take it to shop and have them pull the engine to get at the turbo n look for the screw or just chance it and start the engine?

Old 03-15-2008, 11:30 AM
3rd Gear

Egh. I had rhe same thing happen but luckily for me I found it within 10 minutes. I wouldn't take it to a shop unless its your last possible choice. Take a few minutes and relax and calmly look for it. The more stressed and worried bout it you are the least chances you'll have of finding it.

Old 03-15-2008, 12:10 PM

Wow, I thought loosing my rubber o-ring to the enine was bad! I ended up finding it when went from the bottom and stuck my hand up there, but I can imagine the feeling of droping thoes screws. Let us know what came of it though

Old 03-15-2008, 04:59 PM
SoCal Crew Member

Any luck yet? Can any local audiforums people come to your aid?

Old 03-15-2008, 08:01 PM
2nd Gear

i dont know anyone out there in the plymouth meeting area im 15 mins from center city philly and 15 mins from the king of prussia mall??!!

i cought a magnetic snake and shoved it down and im almost positive its not in the pipe coming off the DV horizonitally i shoved it down the verticle pipe off the DV (same as left pipe comin off TBB) and it didnt go all the way down there but pretty far down so i dont kno ... im gonna call my shop monday and see if they can do it but if anyone is local let me know

my 19inch rims came in the mail today ... i couldnt even put them on bc the car is on a hill :-( not a good day

Quick Reply: wors tthign ever happened