Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Xenon - please unconfuse me

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 02:20 PM
3rd Gear
Default Xenon - please unconfuse me

I culled through three screens of search results without finding my answer. I exchanged multiple emails with Jeffla who was quite helpful.

Facts: 2003 A6 and the window sticker (yes, I have the original) shows Xenon Headlights as part of the Premium Package.

Looking at the headlights, the orange running light/turn signal is obvious. The center bulb cannot be seen -- there appears to be a projector type cover over it. This is the only headlight that shines for low beam. According to the Sylvania site this is an HID-D2S, which sounds like a xenon (high intensity discharge).

The inside bulb is visible and has a black tip. When I activate the high beams, both this bulb and the center projector are lit. Sylvania site calls for an H7 bulb (halogen) for the inner.

So, what do I have here? Xenon low beams and a halogen high beam that works in combination with the xenon low beam?

The strange thing is that my high beams are very bright. No change required. But the low beams seem to have grown weaker over 7 years and 164k miles. Should I be looking at replacing just the bulbs under the center projectors? If so, how difficult are they to access and change? I'm sure one of you handy DIYers can save me some hard learning here. Thanks in advance.

Old 02-18-2010, 06:52 PM
3rd Gear

Your assumption is correct. Your low beam is HID (xenon) and your high beam it halogen. No one really makes HID high beams (other than high beams that utilize motorized lower beams, but that is another topic) because the high beams are meant to be used sporadically and intermittently. Intermittent beam usage is bad on HID light bulb and the ballast.

Anyways I can't believe your bulb has not blown out yet with 7 years of use. You must have a hottie keeping you inside the house at night! Removal is pretty simple. Driverside is straight forward. Just remove the headlight housing by releasing the metal clip. You will see the electrical connector for the low beam. Just turn that counterclockwise. Then there is a retainer for the bulb. Just turn that counterclockwise as well. You are done.

As for the passenger side, you just need to remove the air inlet hose to access the headlight housing.

FYI, never touch the actual bulb surface with your finger. Any oil residue will expedite bulb life.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:40 PM
3rd Gear

I'm still surprised an 03 does not have bi-xenon (high and low beam are produced from the same HID bulb). Our '02 3 series has factory bi-xenon and the high beams are amazing. I wonder when Audi started making bi-xenon?

If you go OEM for bulbs it is simple to change like hxgaser explained. But OEM bulbs are spendy, ~75-100 each. They are also limited to 35watts.

If you go aftermarket, the kit will run you ~60.00 (55w) ~50.00(35w) shipped and you can get 55watt which are much brighter. BUT, the install will not be as simple. You will need to modify your wiring to accommodate the newer 55watt balasts/ignitor plus changing the bulbs. I do not know what the install would involve. On my car, I started with factory halogen low beams and the install was plug and play. I simply unplugged the factory harness, and plugged it into the new HID harness. No wiring modification needed. But you have factory HID, I do not know what the wiring looks like. I just know it is different than mine.

Last edited by Jeffla; 02-18-2010 at 10:43 PM.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:41 AM
1st Gear

(Quote) I wonder when Audi started making bi-xenon?

Our 2005 A6 has bi-xenon.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:21 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Jeffla
I'm still surprised an 03 does not have bi-xenon (high and low beam are produced from the same HID bulb). Our '02 3 series has factory bi-xenon and the high beams are amazing. I wonder when Audi started making bi-xenon?

If you go OEM for bulbs it is simple to change like hxgaser explained. But OEM bulbs are spendy, ~75-100 each. They are also limited to 35watts.

If you go aftermarket, the kit will run you ~60.00 (55w) ~50.00(35w) shipped and you can get 55watt which are much brighter. BUT, the install will not be as simple. You will need to modify your wiring to accommodate the newer 55watt balasts/ignitor plus changing the bulbs. I do not know what the install would involve. On my car, I started with factory halogen low beams and the install was plug and play. I simply unplugged the factory harness, and plugged it into the new HID harness. No wiring modification needed. But you have factory HID, I do not know what the wiring looks like. I just know it is different than mine.
I would never replace an OEM HID setup for an aftermarket one. They are twitchy at best. You will find yourself replacing ballasts constantly. Not to mention on occasion they do not ignite, and you have to flick your lights on and off like a jackass to get them to work. I've been putting aftermarket HID kits on my cars and for years (ill take a twitchy HID over Halogen any day), also my crotch-rocket. And I was hoping when when they came out with digital ballasts all these problems would be solved... For the most part they are. But already, I have had to replace digitals on my caddy. And the one on my bike is having problems igniting the odd time, after only 10k on it. And no, these are not cheapy ebay ones. Although I have used those also and found not much difference in quality. Thats just my .02

Old 02-19-2010, 11:18 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by WoodShoe
I would never replace an OEM HID setup for an aftermarket one. They are twitchy at best. You will find yourself replacing ballasts constantly. Not to mention on occasion they do not ignite, and you have to flick your lights on and off like a jackass to get them to work. I've been putting aftermarket HID kits on my cars and for years (ill take a twitchy HID over Halogen any day), also my crotch-rocket. And I was hoping when when they came out with digital ballasts all these problems would be solved... For the most part they are. But already, I have had to replace digitals on my caddy. And the one on my bike is having problems igniting the odd time, after only 10k on it. And no, these are not cheapy ebay ones. Although I have used those also and found not much difference in quality. Thats just my .02
Our experiences could not be more different. I had one brand of aftermarket hids for maybe 1.5 years then went with 55w which I have had for 1 year. Our past 3 series had around 1 year of use out of an aftermarket 35w kit and we not once had a single problem. They have always ignited correctly every time. I buy the cheapest kits I can find fwiw.

Old 02-19-2010, 11:49 AM
3rd Gear

Thanks for all the feedback. I am not looking to replace the halogen high beams -- as I said, they light up the road real well. I think the xenon low beams are just wearing out -- I have read that they get weaker over time/usage. I may go with the 35w replacement set that Jeffla recommended for $30/pair in a 5000 kelvin. While 55w is appealing, I do not want to take a chance of melting my projector housing.

As far as longevity, I've owned the car 5 years and 127k of the 164k. Most of it was trips across MI to Detroit and back, 185 miles each way, returning at night. So the headlights go on and stay on for 3 hours at a clip. Otherwise lots of long personal and business trips to NY, CT, WI, IL, MA, NH, NJ, MN. I work out of my home office, so the car sits most of the time -- unbelievable given the high mileage. But since it's not stopped/started and used for short trips, it's held up real well. Still on the original shocks and battery. All it's needed is an alternator, clutch + flywheel, and front axle covers. And three sets of Pirellis. I even go 60k+ between brake and spark plug changes. As I mentioned in another posting, I think my computer is starting to go senile since it has been flipping the temperature readings from F to C on it's own lately.

PS -- My 59 year old wife will get a laugh out of the hottie comment. <wink> I hit the road to get AWAY from her. Seriously, after 32 years, I am very attached to the ball and chain.

Last edited by ppgoal; 02-19-2010 at 11:52 AM.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:20 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Jeffla
Our experiences could not be more different. I had one brand of aftermarket hids for maybe 1.5 years then went with 55w which I have had for 1 year. Our past 3 series had around 1 year of use out of an aftermarket 35w kit and we not once had a single problem. They have always ignited correctly every time. I buy the cheapest kits I can find fwiw.
Maybe our harsh winters have something to do with it. Or maybe the humidity. All my friends that use aftermarket HID kits have had problems at one point or another. Also, you see a ton kids that soup up their old busted up cars, always with one HID out The HID on my bike has lasted almost three years. It obviously only rides in the summer. But end of last season I started to have issues with it on startup.

Oh this reminds me.. we installed them on my dads 18 wheeler. Lasted all year (easily 100 000 miles) till rain season. ...Even though they claim to be weather proof, i took them appart.. guess what... water inside the digital ballasts. Both of them...Blew my mind.

Old 02-19-2010, 12:41 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by WoodShoe
Maybe our harsh winters have something to do with it. Or maybe the humidity. All my friends that use aftermarket HID kits have had problems at one point or another. Also, you see a ton kids that soup up their old busted up cars, always with one HID out The HID on my bike has lasted almost three years. It obviously only rides in the summer. But end of last season I started to have issues with it on startup.

Oh this reminds me.. we installed them on my dads 18 wheeler. Lasted all year (easily 100 000 miles) till rain season. ...Even though they claim to be weather proof, i took them appart.. guess what... water inside the digital ballasts. Both of them...Blew my mind.
Just odd, but I know what you mean about heaps of **** driving down the road with 1 bulb burnt out. Here in MN it gets cold and it gets very humid. I guess we have just gotten lucky. My father-in-law installed a set in his 04 Outback and has had nothing but problems. But, he lets the balasts dangle in the engine bay, hitting the engine while he drives. One day he said one wasn't working anymore and I open the hood to see it laying on his subframe surrounded by water. Good thing he bought a set with a lifetime warranty.

Give DDM-Tunings a shot next time your in the market to get some. We have had excellent luck with them. (knock on wood they don't stop working tonight after all the praise I have given them ) But don't buy the Raptor brand.