Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yet another key\immobiliser question

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 08:30 PM
1st Gear
Default Yet another key\immobiliser question

Evening all - I bought a 1998 (UK spec RHD) A6 1.8T about a week ago, it was missing a few things which I'm slowly managing to get bit by bit off ebay - one of these bits was the remote key fob. I got the fob from ebay, got a key cut (nb - from the valet key, it was the only one I had until yesterday when I found the plastic spare under the centre trim next to the handbrake) I put a new battery and newly cut blade into the key fob, programmed it up using the time-honoured "go-outside-lock-the-door-press-some-buttons" procedure (which worked a treat) and now I have a brilliant swithcblade keyfob remote that unlocks and locks the car with no problems. Both the blade and the remote work wonderfully. The blade will not, however, actually start the car. Well, it will, but then the immobiliser cuts in and stops the car. Is there anything I can do to sort this out? I've got a plastic thing in the glove box with some codes on it - will this help? Thanks in advance to anyone who can help - I'm a student and really have to avoid the dealers, they take away my food.....

Old 05-04-2006, 08:39 PM
Default RE: Yet another key\immobiliser question

only one key is chipped to the car the rest are there to gain access only, its not permissible to have more than one key chipped to the ignition because of security

Old 05-04-2006, 09:23 PM
1st Gear

But I can start it with both the plastic one and the valet one - is there any way I can change the setting over so that I can use my flip key in the ignition? I'd rather use that because then I wouldn't have to carry around 2 keys everywhere....

Old 05-05-2006, 09:41 PM
1st Gear

any locksmith with a T CODE can program the key to your car
I also believe the VAG can do it also but I have not used one yet.
My information has it as no transponder functional untill 2000, but that
may just be US specs.

Michael
Locksmith and A6 owner

Old 06-30-2006, 07:35 PM
1st Gear

Yes, my audi A4 1998, also has the same problem. I am going to try a locksmith if they can resolve this problem. The key has been cut buy dealer, I reprogramed the remote buy myself. Just the new key can not start the engine. Someone said the key needs a code. So I hope locksmith can copy the code from my old key to the new copied key.