Audi A7 Athletic, elegant and dramatic, the Audi A7 is a five-door coupe with the graceful look of a benchmark luxury sedan.

Bad MAF cause P0600 with limp mode?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 09:57 AM
1st Gear
Default Bad MAF cause P0600 with limp mode?

I've been chasing an intermittent stutter/stalling issue for many weeks.

Although I say stuttering, it was rare for more than one "buck" to happen. Felt like someone ran into the back of the car or a flutter or fuel cut (not really a misfire). Seems related to cold and is most likely to happen on days that are cold -- below 45 degrees (F) -- and moist. If engine stalled on first start up of the day it would almost certainly stutter while driving once or twice or even die on me when coming to a stop.

Fuel pumps (both) and control module and filter have been replaced at a reputable independent shop. Their VAG-COM showed no errors while chasing this but stuttering was happening intermittently until the fuel pumps were replaced. Since then I've had a couple stall outs but no stuttering. Occasionally it will start and die (on cold engine or 1st start of day).

Two days ago while coasting to decelerate uphill, a vehicle in front of me nearly stopped while turning (at the top of the hill) and I did not need to stop as I'd timed it pretty well. But as I turned, the car seemed to "forget" to downshift and simply died right there. Started back up, though.

Seems more common for stalling like this when I coast (so toggling between closed loop & open loop) and then feather the throttle -- same that used to cause stuttering.

Last night (cold and rainy) coasting in 5th gear (auto transmission) in "D" on the selector, I found a dead spot on the accelerator. I pushed and the RPMs did not react.

I pumped the accelerator several times. Wheels did not spin but then ESP light came on and the dash display stopped showing me what gear I was in. All gears disappeared from the lower portion of the display. The engine then felt like a motor scooter that would wind up and have very little power. Felt like it was stuck in 3rd gear. Is that the infamous LIMP mode? I never read about it changing the display.

Once I parked and pulled error codes from the ECU I found a current fault (P0600: Serial Communication Link) and a pending fault (U0101: Unknown code). The pending fault disappeared from ECU once engine was turned off. P0600 remains which I interpret to be a failure between the ECU and the TCM.

With the engine restarted I could drive normally again and the display showed me the gears. I am logging with Torque Pro and ELM327. I know it's limited.

I have read that a bad MAF can trip the ESP but what about simultaneously tripping the P0600 or killing the serial connection??

Last edited by jbowie; 12-17-2012 at 10:01 AM.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:45 PM
1st Gear

Hi, i have exactly the same thing, the car while moving lost power and the glow plug light came on and flashed .. i re started the car and it cleared. The same think happened a few hundred miles later and the same happened.. Then i connected a computer and get p0600 error in the history but no current issues....... sounds similar to yours, did you get to the bottom of it?

Old 07-22-2013, 09:21 AM
1st Gear
Default Yes and No

The fuel pump needed an adaptation performed. That helped tremendously (no more stalling out).

The bucking issue (eventually) boiled down to a pinhole leak in the PCV hose plus a poorly performing Wastegate actuator valve. The valve was replaced after it (FINALLY) showed some electrical fault that was recognizable -- out of spec by ohms. The bucking has completely disappeared.

I do have a CEL that still comes on occasionally. Torque and ELM show low fuel delivery on bank 1. But my highway run just last week gave 34-35 mpg so I cannot complain about that. I don't recommend using Torque and ELM. I'm just telling you my experience (er lack thereof).

My hunch is there is nothing to "fix" yet -- just as when the actuator wasn't bad enough to recognize.