Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

2000A8 idling issues

Old 08-12-2009, 06:52 AM
Default 2000A8 idling issues

I have a 2000 A8 that is very well maintained. As background probably to eliminate as a cause of this issue, within the last two years I have changed timing belt/water pump/fuel pump/fan/mass flow sensor and 2 oxygen sensors. The car idles between 650 -1000 rpm when stopped and when codes (throttle body /acceleration over threshold/mass flow sensor/oxygen sensor?) are cleared, I get 200-300 miles of a perfectly running car then it starts again.......my mechanics who are really good (I think) have also taken out and cleaned the throttle body.....HELP I NEED A SOULTION..
UPDATE
After reading a post yesterday, I disconnected the battery for about 1 hour, reconnected and turned the ignition on for about 2 mins to recalibrate the throttle body. The car ran smoothly after that until I got home. This morning the problem reappeared but not as fierce as before.......could it be that I have to replace the throttle body? Any suggestions from anyone out there?

Old 08-13-2009, 03:48 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by PappaSmurf View Post
within the last two years I have changed timing belt/water pump/fuel pump/fan/mass flow sensor and 2 oxygen sensors.
A little off topic, but as someone who recently purchased an 01 A8, that scares me.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:50 PM
2nd Gear

The very next time it starts giving you a problem realign the throttle and see if it goes away. It could just be a coincidence. Have you replaced any coils yet? Are you getting any misfire codes?

Old 08-24-2009, 11:47 AM

i changed three coils and plugs two weeks ago as it started misfiring badly.
a few days after this, i purchased some fuel injector cleaner and used it over two tanks of gas. two days after the first treatment the problem seemend to go away but the check engine light came on. i have not reset the light or checked the codes but the probles has not reappeared for over 400 miles now. i'm actually scared to check the codes but i know i eventually will have to....thanks so much for all the advise and suggestions. i wil lkeep all posted

Old 08-24-2009, 01:21 PM
Senior Administrator

Originally Posted by Mongo18 View Post
A little off topic, but as someone who recently purchased an 01 A8, that scares me.
Shouldn't, if it was a pert of the regular maintenance schedule which, the timing-belt and water-pump sounds like they are. MAF & O2 can go hand-in-hand, as well, in that if one goes it can take the other with it. I cannot come up with any good parallel between teh fuel pump and the fan, however.

Last edited by AWDaholic; 08-24-2009 at 01:25 PM.