Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

2001 A8 -- Water on driver's side floor board

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 10:29 AM
1st Gear
Default 2001 A8 -- Water on driver's side floor board

Have owned this car for about a year. In March, noticed water collecting on the floor board at the drivers side. Ignored it. Thought it might be unusually wet shoes.

Yesterday, same thing. Pulled up floor mat and the spongy material underneath the mat was saturated.

It was warm yesterday (Chicago) and had the climate system on Auto and A/C was pushing cold air and seemingly fine.

Apparently this has been happening for a while. When I pulled the mats a couple of metal pieces ( 2" Square and likely fastners) were totally rusted through and no longer connected to whatever they were connected to.

Any ideas? I am thinking leak in the A/C, I don't know the system route to know that the A/C is the culprit. It doesn't appear to be coming from around the firewall, but, water seeks it's level and perhaps the spot immediately under the front of the driver's seat is the lowest spot.

Thanks in advance.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:20 AM
1st Gear

OK. Found several places where the water leak subject was broached. Looks like one of three places. I think mine is the drains in the wheel wells . . . one drain was tucked behind the wheel well shroud. Still, i want to check the evaporator drains in the cabin. Anyone have advice on removing the accelerator pedal stop? looks like three bolts mounting the bracket to the firewall, but I don't want to remove if there's a better way.

Thanks.

Old 05-26-2015, 01:44 PM
2nd Gear

I had the same "flooding" in my 2003 a couple of years ago. The drains for the A/C condensation trays inside the car were stopped up. You have to remove the carpeted panels on the front lower sides of the the console to get access to them. Mine kept stopping up with slimey algae crap so I snipped the ends where they close up a little so they never allow any condensation to sit and "get slimey". Not had any issues since.

As far as the accelerator stop, it has to come out to get that panel off the drivers side of the console. I don't remember it being too big a pain to get out and back in. Just be sure to vacuum up any water laying in the floor pans under the mats and let everything dry out for a few days.

HTH,
Dave

Old 06-01-2015, 09:53 AM
1st Gear

Well, I've had the front mats and the side covers (exposing the evap drains on either side) and there hasn't been any water in the cabin since I redirected the wheel well drain on the driver's side from behind the wheel well shroud.

Based on when this would happen (car washes, driving or even sitting in rain), and where it was wet and where it wasn't (most wet on the driver's side and very little if any on the passenger side, and didn't seem to be coming from the evap drains as that area was dry when I removed the mats . . . and no sign of water running down recently at all), it must be the wheel-well drains.

Good news and bad news, right? How could the water get in the cabin in from running behind the WW? When I get the time, will pull the well shroud and see.

thanks for the notes.

Old 06-17-2015, 08:56 AM
2nd Gear

I think if the drains are stopped up from under the windshield tray, it will over flow into the inside of the car through the airbox for the climate control. On my A8, there is one on each side behind the front wheel wells that are easily accessible from there and a larger one that sits directly below the Airbox. It's hard to see but you can take a 3 or 4 ft section of rubber hose (I used some 3/8") and snake it down into the drain opening and blow some air from a compressor down in there to loosen up any hardened deposits. Then with a water hose, flush everything out making sure the water is running out through the drain. It drains out over the transmission bellhousing.

HTH,
Dave

Old 06-25-2015, 10:06 PM
1st Gear

I had no leaks, but, once when I had my hood up, I noticed a bunch of water in the tray visible just in front of the windshield. Ran a wire up thru the wheel well nipple, and tons of water drained out. Same driver side.