Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

2004 A8 maintenance / issues thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 04:59 AM
1st Gear

well another 5000 miles shouldn't harm. after that get the servicing done

Old 08-30-2011, 10:41 PM
1st Gear
Default Brake rotors!

In a few posts in this forum it was mentioned that the brake rotos should also be replaced at times, when renewing the brakepads.
My A8 has about 86K mileage on it and off and on while applying on the brakes at speeds 50 miles and higher, the from of the car starts waving and slightly shaking. I was wondering if changing the brake rotors would help or is that just worn out brkae pads. Any ideas? Another question;
Are ceramic brake pads better than the usual one? which one is less noisy?

Thank you,

Old 08-31-2011, 10:40 AM
1st Gear

Sounds exactly like your rotors are going. I had mine replaced for the second time of the life of the car at 84k. I bought the brake rotors from blauparts.com because I had a credit with them. You can get the OEM audi rotors from genuineaudivwparts.com for not that bad of a price. For brake pads I would either go OEM or EBC redstuff pads which I personally as well as many others have used on the forums. Much less dust, same brake performance and no squeaks. Get those from ECS tuning. I know that there are a pair of ceramic pads that are made for the rear of the car and I had them for a two weeks but even after breaking them in they made a high pitch squeal when the car was cold or first started. Hawk makes ceramic pads for the front but as I said before most members ont he forums either use EBC redstuff or just simply go with stock pads. It is easy to check the condition of the rotor, when I changed mine for the second time at 84k they were quite thin, just see if they have a lip on them with your finger; you don't even have to take off the wheel.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:34 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Brozee
Sounds exactly like your rotors are going. I had mine replaced for the second time of the life of the car at 84k. I bought the brake rotors from blauparts.com because I had a credit with them. You can get the OEM audi rotors from genuineaudivwparts.com for not that bad of a price. For brake pads I would either go OEM or EBC redstuff pads which I personally as well as many others have used on the forums. Much less dust, same brake performance and no squeaks. Get those from ECS tuning. I know that there are a pair of ceramic pads that are made for the rear of the car and I had them for a two weeks but even after breaking them in they made a high pitch squeal when the car was cold or first started. Hawk makes ceramic pads for the front but as I said before most members ont he forums either use EBC redstuff or just simply go with stock pads. It is easy to check the condition of the rotor, when I changed mine for the second time at 84k they were quite thin, just see if they have a lip on them with your finger; you don't even have to take off the wheel.
Thank you so very much for the info.
I checked the rotors, the rear one has about 2 (milimeter) lip (overhang), the front one barely (less than one milimeter). Do you think that replacing the rotors and putting brand new pads would take care of the swaing of the front of the car by applying the brake?
Thank you,

Old 09-02-2011, 05:18 AM
1st Gear

Well most of your braking is done in the front. It seems that my previous owner replaced the front pads and rotors twice and only the rear once. I experienced a squeal and noise sometimes when breaking but this was only because one of the front pads were worn down to the wire (not triggering the replace brake pads fault though??) The rear I just replaced after being told they were low by the dealer as well as my mechanic. I didn't experience any shudder or negative in breaking though. I believe you would only be able to experience the shudder if your front pads were real low or your front rotors were too thin/warped. Have it looked at by a friendly mechanic or knowledgeable friend; don't pay for this. See if it is indeed the front pads/rotor being low/thin.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:02 PM
1st Gear
Default True OEM Part?!

I checked the places that were recommended on this forum for OEM parts. One is genuineaudivwparts.com
The prices are just a little bit lower than the Audi Dealr (once shipping added).
The question is where those parts are made? There are several OEM Audi parts stores online with a big price variations and manufacturer names.
I think if the price difference is not all so significat, maybe buying the part from Audi dealer is not all so bad choice/idea. Of course I will not let the Audi dealr do the reapir job! I have my own trusty Indip. Mechanic!
What do you guys think?
A.

Old 09-08-2011, 06:04 PM
1st Gear
Default Best Brake pads for Audi

I have read in this forum about EBC red stuff brake pads. Question;
Which brake pad is the best for Audi D3? I am not an agressive driver!!
1- EBC red Stuff
2- Pagid
3- Jurid?

Thank you,

Old 09-09-2011, 12:21 PM
1st Gear

You are doing exactly what I did. I contemplated on what pads and rotors to get for the longest time. About a 27 post long thread. I ended up getting the EBC red stuff; offering the same stopping power but with MUCH less dust. The OEM dust is insane. Pagid and Jurid are both OEM manuf. and they have no differences. Just go with the EBC and save your time and effort you are debating on.

Old 09-17-2011, 01:16 AM
1st Gear

i just replaced my front brake pads with EBC red stuff. really nice brakes, even though the stock ones were just fine, these ones seem to grab harder/faster when they are cold/wet. now just gotta change the rear ones, didnt know i needed ross-tech to do it...

Old 09-17-2011, 01:31 AM
1st Gear

my 2004 a8 with 118k miles has the following issues.

heater doesnt work, stopped working about 15k miles ago "dealer cant find problem"

check engine light was on for "secondary air injection blah blah", dealer replaced a relay, was about 34 bucks, the valves werent opening, they were stuck.

when starting the car, starter attemps to start it for a mili second than changes its mind, turning the ignition off than back on fixes the problem, i also noticed, if you just turn the ignition on and wait for all the lights to come on, like 5 seconds, it starts from the first time.

driver window on the way up automatically stops and starts going down, u gotta stop it and force it up a few times to close it "only happens when the car is stationary, if the car is moving, even at 1mph, it closes just fine".

this is something new, happened like 5 times in the last 3-4 months, when coming around a corner, not fast or anything, just normal driving, hitting the gas gives you nothing, as if the engine is off, and does nothing untill u hit it all the way down than the engines wakes up and does its thing. freaked me out, but hasnt done it for a while.

when accelerating fast, the brake light blinks and makes a loud annoying beeping sound for about 5 seconds and goes away.

nav/mmi crashes oocasionally, happens mostly on long drives, just goes blank and restarts itself for every. the only way to stop it, is pulling over and pulling out the fuse in the back for the computer and putting it back in. works good than. "dealer found error in the gps antenna system, but what exactly is wrong they have no clue".

the auto-level headlight motor stopped working on me on the right side twice already, last time was in august, it would get stuck in the low position, the next day it was working fine again.

besides that, the car drives nice, performs well, no major issues.

if you guys have/had some of the same issues that i do, and somehow got it fixed, help a brother out. thanks

Quick Reply: 2004 A8 maintenance / issues thread