Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

2004 A8 maintenance / issues thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 11:01 AM
2nd Gear

heater doesnt work, stopped working about 15k miles ago "dealer cant find problem"

I don't EVEN begin to get that...What kind of "dealer" ...obviously not cars...better look at the sign out front again

Virtually ANY mechanic with a manual and a scanner could find that in 5 minutes or less....it can only be one of a few things: Temp flaps/motor in the interior venting not allowing heat in, heater valve unit failing for some reason, clogged heater cores (NOT likely), electronic controls for climate control not sending correct signal (also NOT likely).
Turn on heater when car is warm, feel temp of both heater hoses under the hood...is out-flowing hose hot, warm, cool?

-- " this is something new, happened like 5 times in the last 3-4 months, when coming around a corner, not fast or anything, just normal driving, hitting the gas gives you nothing, as if the engine is off, and does nothing untill u hit it all the way down than the engines wakes up and does its thing. freaked me out, but hasnt done it for a while.

when accelerating fast, the brake light blinks and makes a loud annoying beeping sound for about 5 seconds and goes away. -- "

Both these could be associated with traction control (ESP)...most common and easiest to fix problem that could "sensing" wheel spin when it's not there, is dirty or failing (even wiring/plug contact problem) is ABS wheel speed sensors at each of the 4 wheels.

You need a REAL mechanic....easy problems to diagnose, if you have the car in front of you with a little knowledge.

Old 09-17-2011, 03:25 PM
1st Gear

ok, i will check those hoses after work today.

but yea, the mechanics were audi certified at a real audi dealership. go figure. btw, is there somehow i can check the heater core, if its hot? like, location of it?

and the flaps u talking about, it might be that cuz under the dashboard theres this clicking noise like something wants to move, but its stuck, it tries every so often. this is my first audi, not much of a mechanic, but than see what happens when you do take it to a real mechanic, nothing.

thanks for the help!

Old 09-17-2011, 08:31 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by pavelbarchuk
ok, i will check those hoses after work today.

but yea, the mechanics were audi certified at a real audi dealership. go figure. btw, is there somehow i can check the heater core, if its hot? like, location of it?

and the flaps u talking about, it might be that cuz under the dashboard theres this clicking noise like something wants to move, but its stuck, it tries every so often. this is my first audi, not much of a mechanic, but than see what happens when you do take it to a real mechanic, nothing.

thanks for the help!
No way to get to heater cores without major disassembly (A8's have 2, one for each side of interior...dual climate zone) ...the hoses on driver's side going into the fresh air feed the cores. If heater cores are getting hot coolant, both hoses will be hot...if not, one will be, the other won't...maybe just barely warm.
A8's are complicated for sure...these heater hoses go to an odd lookin valve unit in the fresh plenum (between center vent and brake booster), under the hood and it controls distribution to heater cores. The clicking in the car could be a failed or stuck unit that allows heat from the cores into the interior vents...even with heater valves and cores working, these temp flaps can prevent you from getting that heat.
Any mechanic with either dealer quality diagnostic computer plug-in or RossTech VagCom program (anyone can buy this and good German car mechanics have it). Every electrical, mechanical system in your car is linked to OBD diagnostics, including every little vent in the climate control/heater system. Find an independent mechanic or a good non-dealer foreign car repair shop that has RossTech (or equivalent)...NOT just a home code reader..no good for this.

Old 09-17-2011, 10:24 PM
1st Gear

ok thanks.

looks like im just gona get myself ross-tech, still need it to replace my rear brake pads...

Old 09-17-2011, 10:54 PM
1st Gear

one quick question.

i replaced all 4 tires today, the tire pressure sensors are present and undamaged and with the tire pressure monitoring system on, it displays no info. for every tire its ---

any clue?

oh, and it never worked since i had it, i thought maybe the sensors were missing or broken..

Last edited by pavelbarchuk; 09-17-2011 at 11:07 PM.
Old 09-17-2011, 11:10 PM
2nd Gear

I don't have TPMS, but seems that it may take some driving time before they reset.
A few threads dealing with that:

https://www.audiforums.com/forum/aud...isplay-139862/

https://www.audiforums.com/forum/aud...fuction-82583/

https://www.audiforums.com/forum/aud...ensors-150939/

Old 09-19-2011, 01:21 AM
1st Gear

Try resetting the TPMS by hitting "change wheels" as long as you aren't getting an alert about your TPMS malfunctioning then good riddens. The system is just a money pit and a joke anyways. I had to buy new sensors because I have newer software installed. If you don't have the nag, then don't worry

Old 09-22-2011, 08:03 PM
1st Gear

Yeah, i turned my tmps on and it says tire pressure monitoring system malfunction or something like that. whatever, dont really need it anyways.

update on the heater issue.

so, the fluid level is good "between min and max", no leaks, everything is hot, doesnt seem like theres an issue.

heres the kicker. it was about 85f outside today, driving around and heater setting set on hi, so instead of blowing hot air, or at least outside temps, its blowing cold *** air conditioned air, and i mean it, there wouldnt be a difference if it was set to low.

im not a mechanic, nor i know how the car really works, but why would the ac run, "and u hear it turn on" when your asking for hot temps? something tells me this is electronic, maybe the temp guage on the inside is sending the wrong temps to the computer?

Old 09-22-2011, 11:43 PM
1st Gear

another update.

just came home after driving around and actually got the heater to blow hot air.

by going manual, on high, and having the econ option set to on, it blew hot *** air. "econ on turns ac off", than by hitting auto while still on hi, it turns the eco off, the ac kicks in and blows cold air.

diffinetly computer issue...

Old 10-16-2011, 09:26 PM
1st Gear
Default 2004 left rear wheel bearing

I need to replace the left rear wheel bearing Audi dealer wants $620 to do the job, how hard is this to do ? I can do the job my self i just dont have the time like i used to. Now re visiting time allocation ;-) any thoughts ?

Quick Reply: 2004 A8 maintenance / issues thread