Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

2004 A8L Remote Start System?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 12:51 AM
Default 2004 A8L Remote Start System?

Would like to get a remote start system installed somehow on A8L. Anyone have knowledge of a successful effort there? The system seems very complex and yet there must be a way...

Old 03-22-2005, 01:05 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: 2004 A8L Remote Start System?

I have remote start on my 98 A8L. so i know it is possible. i talked to a shop here where i live and they said they can update it to a newer system but it will cost $$$. most stereo/alarm places can do the install unless you're looking to do it yourself.

Old 03-22-2005, 11:46 PM

Yes, but the pre-2000 or so models are very different, I have been told. This thing has an "Access Verification Module" that sends a digital signal. And there is the "immobilizer" to deal with. I actually talked to one shop who was contemplating trying it, but talked to another shop that did high-end vehicles like this and told them to run from the Audi A8L as fast as they could. If the battery was even disconnected there was a big charge from the dealer to "initialize" the car again, etc.

Old 04-17-2005, 10:08 PM

Found something of profound interest to myself and anyone else looking to put a remote start on the new A8L models (2004 and 2005). The link below gives the details on the bypass kit that allows success:

http://bypasskits.fortinautoradio.co...bypasskitid=24

Additional information:

1 - This is the only company I have found so far that makes a bypass for the Audi A8L (also fits the VW Toureg and Porsche Cayenne): Fortin Auto Radio in Canada. When you call them they begin speaking in French but speak English just fine after you reply.
2 - They make their bypass for only one manufacturer's remote starter kits: Firstech of Seatlle, WA. Fortin sells both the bypass and the remote start kit together.
3 - Firstech's starter kits all use the same control module. You get the attendant remotes and matching antenna for the type of access you want (basic, 3000 feet, two-way remote that shows the status of the start, etc. - their top of the line is a rolling frequency thing but I've been told that it's slower than the simpler models). See their website for difference in models, even though they all use the same control module.
4 - Fortin sells two different models but if you want a different one you can contact Firstech directly (interesting name for their website considering the product and company name, but...): www.compustar.org. I bought an upgrade for $60 to have the 3000-foot range. Not a big deal, and if you live outside an area where they have distributor/sales/install/shops, they'll sell to you directly. Their starter kits seem to be high quality (guess I'll find out if not - but I've been impressed so far).
5 - The install is very simple. Any experienced installer should have no problem and it can be done in a couple hours max.
6 - Fortin's kit includes a modified "barrel" which is the ignition part where you inert the key. You pay a $250 deposit (the cost of the part) and after you return your original barrel they refund the deposit. You can view and print the installation instructions right from Fortin's website.
7 - As mentioned, the starter kits are sold together with the bypass kit by Fortin. So go directly to Fortin. The cost was very reasonable in my opinion(!) at under $300. Then if you want an upgrade to the type of remote/range combination, talk to Firtstech.

I found a local installer to do the job. I would have been happy to give them the info, let them become a dealer if they wanted, and then buy from them, but they alreayd had a number of lines and didn't want to take on another; doing the install (under $100) was no problem for them, however.

I have had remote starts on the last 5 cars I've owned and loved them. I find them most practical given that the climate here in the mountain west is both cold in winter and hot in summer. Given the hassle I went through trying to find a way to get one installed on this A8L (2 shops gave up after trying for a day and numerous others had no answers and weren't even interested in trying), finding this solution was a very fresh breath of air.

Hope this is helpful to others out there.

Old 05-07-2005, 01:07 AM
1st Gear

I don't know about a huge charge for getting the battery replaced on your 01, I have an 01 A8L and it sat in storage for 2 weeks with one of the interior lights on, I had it jumped and no problems except for the stereo. I took it to a dealer and paid $35 to have them turn it back on, they also gave me the code so if it ever happens again it wont cost me anything. Please let me know if you find out a way for the remote start, I am also interested in doing it without replacing the entire security system. Any info on the 98 A8 system would be good also, I have one of those also. Thanks

Old 08-30-2005, 03:26 PM

Fortin has just released another bypasskit for the 2005 Audi A6: http://support.fortinautoradio.com/b...bypasskitid=45