Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

2006 A8 Trunk Lid Problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 09:50 AM
1st Gear

I was wondering if the cold temp. had something to do with these sudden trunk problems. When it was warm outside never had these problems, but as soon as the temp started dropping, problems come out of no where!

Old 12-09-2009, 10:10 AM
Site Moderator

Well its the same concept as windshield wipers in the cold weather. Trying to wipe snow off your windshield can overload the motor, or strip the gears inside it. The same can happen if you try to lift a trunk lid that has a bunch of frozen snow packed on top of it. That and the cold weather freezes the hinges making it harder for the motor to lift the lid.

Old 12-11-2009, 06:36 PM
1st Gear

Of course! i go to put trash in my trunk, it opens perfectly then wont shut all the way!!!! What a pain in the ***. Even when I manually push it shut u barely pull on it and it comes up. This sucks!

Old 12-11-2009, 07:31 PM
Site Moderator

Goes with the territory of a $60+k car mate, its almost 5 years old now. Its either the motor or trunk hinges........or both

Old 12-12-2009, 12:41 PM
1st Gear

Great news! After the frigid cold night last night (15 degrees or so) my trunk latch or lock seemed to be frozen and the trunk wouldn't close properly and lock in place. I wake up this morning to a sunny 40 degrees, and left my car in the sun. The trunk works perfectly now, guess it was just the cold weather. I'll think twice now against using my trunk in very cold weather. Although it sucks

Old 12-13-2009, 02:17 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by auditech79
No, there is a TSB (technical service bulletin) repair for that. If the lid wants to open back up on its own it either needs new trunk hinges, and or a new motor. On the TSB it wil state which motor is the updated one, the dealer usually marks on the side of the motor with a piece of white out (or green) if it has been changed, you can only see that by removing the motor (PITA!) As for the hinges, the 04-05 model has steel hinge pins which are magnetic, the updated ones are aluminum, so to test for that put a magnet on the pin (part where it rotates on) and see if the magnet sticks, if it does, you need new hinges.

I have the same problem for a long time and they never got to fix it because they could never replicate the problem. Now of course that the car is out of warranty and showed them a clip they claim that the hinges do not need to be lubed anymore but most likely it is a motor failure.

Do you know where I can get access to that Technical Service Bulletin so I can take it to them and see if I can get them to fix it?

Thanks
Jim

Old 12-30-2009, 10:33 PM
1st Gear

Let it sit in a warm condition. I'm guessing it is doing this because it is cold outside. It may not be broken. In my case it did the same exact thing, no matter how hard I manually slammed it shut. This was in 20 degree weather. The next afternoon the car was in the sun and it was 45 degrees, I opened it up and it closed nice, firm and flush!

Old 01-18-2010, 11:48 AM
1st Gear

I'm positive it has something to do with the cold weather! I haven't open my trunk in almost a month! I guess when the weather breaks I can began using my trunk again. It's crazy you pay all this money for a car and can't even put groceries in your trunk! Honestly I will think twice about buying an Audi again!

Old 01-19-2010, 12:59 AM
1st Gear

I know what your talking about. To be honest I think the car would be perfect if it didn't have a dumbass TPMS, and if I could just make the trunk completely manual. I don't like having an auto one anyways, having to worry about it breaking, or having snow on it, or even just waiting for it to open or lock and shut. I like the open and slam shut method

Old 01-19-2010, 09:52 AM
Site Moderator

If you want to open/close it manually, just remove the motor attached to the hinges during the winter, but leave the pull down motor attached. It should be easy to open and close with the motor removed.

Quick Reply: 2006 A8 Trunk Lid Problems