Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

98 A8 plugged rain drain?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 02:40 AM
1st Gear
Default 98 A8 plugged rain drain?

I am looking for some help locating the rain drain that should be up by the windshield of my 98 Audi A8 4.2

Every time it rains or I wash the car, water comes out at the floor vents. I have looked around under the hood and had no luck. I took it to a shop in town and they said they fixed it, they didn't. I don't drive it often, but I hate to see it just sit in the garage all winter, any help would be great, thanks

Old 11-14-2006, 04:41 AM
Default RE: 98 A8 plugged rain drain?

Hi!
I had the same problem on my 4.2Q-95. Your AC/compartment heater evap drains are clogged.
There is one on each side. You get some of the rain in from the windshield into the the AC system.
This is your first problem. I have it too. I'm working on it. Probably some sealing needed where
the air comes in under the hood.
Your second problem is that the AC condensation evap drains are clogged. There one on each side.
This means that your heat exchanger is flooded. Each time it rains, more water comes in and
it comes out on the floor. Even when it's not raining you will have a litre or two of pure water.
Try some heavy cornering and you'll see more water coming out.

You will need to remove both evap drains. See this link that explains how.

http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articl...tordrains.html

At the same time you will have to unclogg the other drains. There are 3 more, they are all under
the hood, totally 5 diffrerent drains, they could all be clogged and cause your problem.

Good luck!
Christian /Sweden

Old 11-24-2006, 05:13 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: 98 A8 plugged rain drain?

I have done the procedure twice now and am seriously thinking of getting a bilge pump for my '99. I can't seem to actually clear out the pipes that go down from the orange boots to the exterior. I've put 120psi air down them and just can't get more than a drip at a time to appear. Is there anyway to reach the openings from the bottom of the car? I looked but coulnd't locate them (appears to be hind some pads). I'm worried they are basically in the same shape as the ones in my wheel wells, dried out and crusted with dirt. I'd like to just snip them off. Anyone have any luck with that? I'm going to do it with the ones in the wheel wells.