Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

A6 or A8?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 09:23 AM
1st Gear

Just my input here: I had an A6 4.2 and have to say it was the best car I ever owned. It was getting high in mileage so I decided to sell. Anyway now I am looking to get an A8, I would have to say for roughly the same $$ the 8 is the way to go, it's so much more car and plenty of room, power, etc plus iy looks so much nicer and more expensive than the A6 just do your research as you have been doing, nobody wants a money pit and I have learned that these can be money pits. Good luck

Old 09-01-2010, 01:53 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by auditech79
Oh, well thank you.

In addition to what silverd2 said skipping steps aren't recommended, especially on ALUMINUM engines! .......Follow the torque procedures......trust me...
It should be a piece of cake for anyone with any mechanical expereince, just take it slow and it will get done.
Actually, the main step I skipped was removing the front end of the car to do the job, when I realized I could reach everything with the right tools (including torque wrench) with it in place (don't mind tight spaces)...all correct adjustments, torqueing and all...BUT that's another discussion for another thread (along with slight variations in "procedure").

My point is this: Don't just judge a car by whether or not the belt has been changed (depending on mileage), UNLESS the previous owner lied about having it done.

I did my T-belt service at 100K miles, just as a precaution, to let the car know I cared (they're alive, you know) and had to go in for a thermostat change anyway. The old belt was in near perfect condition. These belts are not prone to sudden catastrophic failure, for no reason. If they fail (which is NOT common), it's usually caused by extreme old age (desert conditions can shorten their life...I hear), by another part failing...seizing or letting off tension. Belt condition and tension is so easy to check, I do it much more often than changing oil...it's much easier!
When people ask if I worry about a the T-belt belt breaking, I always answer "Almost as much as I do about a satellite falling on me"

Old 09-01-2010, 06:04 PM
1st Gear

I test drove both today, and have to say, I liked the A6 more. Just seemed to fit better, more responsive, and clearly faster. Which it should be, as the smaller car. Overall just liked it better.

The MMI seemed real straight forward. The whole cockpit feel was perfect. Not as tight in the suspension as the S4, but really not that far off.

I might have to try another A8, because I drove the A6 first and fell in love with it. But sometimes its the bigger chicks (so I have been told) that are more fun once you get to know them. Might have to look again...

The A8L is the king of luxury. Great ride.

Old 09-01-2010, 06:52 PM
2nd Gear

Curious, what year models did you drive of each? Mileage ?
A6 a V8?

Old 09-01-2010, 08:43 PM
Site Moderator

Well not everyone will like the A8L, which is why they make a shortwheel base A8 model! Give that one a try, its 5" shorter than the L.

Im also curious if you drove a D3 A8 (04+) or D3, because a D3 A8 is actually just as fast (if not faster) than the A6 4.2L.

A6 4.2L (335 horsepower) is 7.1 seconds 0-60 mph
A8 4.2L (335 horsepower different block though) is 6.6 seconds 0-60 mph
and thats the L model, the regular wheel base is around 6.4 seconds.

Old 09-02-2010, 01:32 AM
1st Gear

Maybe not the most fair comparison. The A6 was a 4.2, but the only one they had used was a 2007 S-Line. Sexy. The A8 they just got on trade in was not cleaned up yet and was a 2004. Pretty clear the owner did not take the best car of it. Even if I decided on an A8, would not have been that one.

When I buy, it will be between a 2004 A8 and a 2005 A6 4.2, so I probably need to do some more driving. If my wife wouldn't have kicked me in the boys, I would have bought that A6 on the spot. The car just felt right. I like how the instrument panel wraps around the driver.

But, than again, I can really see loading up the faimly in the A8 for a road trip. We have a Grand Cherokee Limited for that, so I don't know how often that would happen. But putting customers in an A8? Perfect.

Now I'm back to not knowing... Nice thing is, I don't think I can go wrong either way.

Old 09-02-2010, 03:10 AM
1st Gear

Texas, out of curiosity, what was the price and mileage of the A8? Thanks trying to see what they have been going for

Old 09-02-2010, 03:36 AM
1st Gear

Definitely stay away from the 2004 A8, its plagued with problems unless you can get one still under warranty then search the forums and have the dealer replace every last thing before you pickup the car. I love my A8 and would be completely disappointed if I ever got the A6, not to mention the A6's back end is hideous IMO. Not the newer A6 though. I also think that $2k yearly is a bit of an exaggeration, as this is only if you haven't had the main things changed, such as the transmission flush, timing belt, and the control arm bushings. Control arm bushings only cost your grandmother if you take it to the dealer, buy the parts yourself and have a local mechanic install them its pretty easy if they have the correct tools and have done them on any other car. After the major services are done just expect little things like a window switch to go or brake light switch, things along those lines.

Old 09-02-2010, 04:33 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Texas
I test drove both today, and have to say, I liked the A6 more. Just seemed to fit better, more responsive, and clearly faster. Which it should be, as the smaller car. Overall just liked it better.

The MMI seemed real straight forward. The whole cockpit feel was perfect. Not as tight in the suspension as the S4, but really not that far off.

I might have to try another A8, because I drove the A6 first and fell in love with it. But sometimes its the bigger chicks (so I have been told) that are more fun once you get to know them. Might have to look again...

The A8L is the king of luxury. Great ride.
In a given year (example 2005), the A8 with it's all aluminum construction, just weighs 143 lbs (one wife?) more than the A6. The A8L weighs 253 lbs (one fat guy) more than the A6.
Many of us much prefer the SWB (same size as S8). The L's main difference is 5 extra inches in the back seat, and a few extra "standard" features. I bought my '01 SWB as a CPO and it happened to have most of the extras...nav, parking sensors, etc...
But you ARE in an A8 forum and our opinions are going to be a little slanted. The A6 is not a "bad" car...I just much prefer the feel, drive and uniqueness of the 8.

So keep shoppin, test drivin and have fun....and do what feels right for YOU.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:15 PM
1st Gear

Other question for the experts. One concern I have with the A8 with the air shocks, mainly because I have never worked on this type. Coilovers - no problem.

What is the cost to replace these if need be?