Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

A6 or A8?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 11:43 AM
1st Gear
Default A6 or A8?

I was fairly set on looking for a 2005 A6 4.2, but then noticed the pricing on the A8s. 2005 & 2006 A8s seem to be in the same price ballpark as a 2005 A6 with the V8.

A8 looks so good... plus, I have a growing family (two kids so far). So the extra room might be warranted.

Couple of questions. What year did the A8 switch to the steel chain in replacement of the timing belt?

Also, besides space, what else is a compelling reason for the A8 over the A6?

Old 08-31-2010, 03:14 PM
2nd Gear

Two completely different animals....unrelated in drive, ride and construction. A8's are all aluminum space frame (totally unique) and body...A6's are mostly steel. Test drive one of each and the answer should be obvious. I'd take an A8 over a 6 any day, even if paying higher $$.

I believe the timing chain replaced the belt in 2008 models (?). The belts aren't a notorious failure problem, just a dealer cost to replace problem.

Last edited by silverd2; 08-31-2010 at 03:28 PM.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:52 PM
Site Moderator

Way different cars, of course the A8 is way better, its the flagship. However i wouldn't recommend an A8 unless you can swallow about $2,000-$3,000 a year (average) for repairs/maintenance. Oil changes alone on the A8 are well over $100, the oil filter isn't located in the most accessable of places.
The timing chain wasn't used until the FSI 4.2L was used, i think it was late 07. Its really easy to tell though because you will see those big honking high pressure fuel pumps on top of the engine on both the fuel rails. I have a pic of an RS4 engine with FSI, hold on a second.
Name:  highpressurepumps.jpg
Views: 678
Size:  50.7 KB
They are circled in red there, as long as you see those bad boys on the motor it has a timing chain, however if you get that engine its possible the fuel pressure pumps will wear out past the 100k mark, and those bad boys are $1,000 a pop.
You're gonna pay audi one way or another LOL.

Old 08-31-2010, 05:27 PM
1st Gear

Looks like some test driving is in my future. Thanks for the responses.

I'm in sales, so looking for a ride that I can ideally put 100K miles on over the next 3-4 years, while enjoying it. I had an A4 and then an S4, and loved both. Really, really loved the S4.

I do my own wrenching, so not too worried about the costs minus the timing belt. Maybe I'll see what there are A8s out there that already have this done. Been a number of years since I was under the hood on an Audi. How can I best check to see if the timing belt has been replaced? Not saying I don't trust dealers, I just don't...

Old 08-31-2010, 05:53 PM
1st Gear

So on the $2-$3 a year in maintenance costs, would that also apply to the A6?

Neither the A4 or S4 ran me much for maintenance costs.

Old 08-31-2010, 06:31 PM
Site Moderator

Parts for the A8 just run higher than the A6, parts online are much more readilly available for the A6 4.2L than the A8. If you do your own wrenching then i would get an 05-07 A8 and do the belt yourself, its no different than the A4 or A6, you can pull the front end forwards (service position) to remove the belt, water pump, thermostat etc.
There is a lot more room under the hood of an A8, which is nice because these cars are enough of a PITA as it is.
To check the belt you just need to pop off one of the upper timing belt covers and check the outside of the belt, if you can see white lines on the outside of the belt chances are its pretty old and needs replacing soon.
You can save money buying a kit from www.blauparts.com and renting the cam lock bar from them. Other than that the A8 has air suspension so air springs wear out, the upper control arm bushings only last 50k from the added weight, along with much more buttons and gadgets than can break, thus increasing the maintenance costs.

EDIT: If you plan to DIY, expect the A6 to cost around $1,000 a year to maintain, and $2,000 for the A8

Old 08-31-2010, 07:01 PM
2nd Gear

Last edited by auditech79; 08-31-2010 at 09:07 PM. Reason: FUBAR
Old 08-31-2010, 09:08 PM
Site Moderator

^^^^I totally erased your post on accident, if you could repost it please? Sorry about that mate
Stupid computer crashed while i was trying to quote you.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:30 PM
2nd Gear

'salright man. It was really complimentary to you, too

I think the main gist was, an average mechanic with the right tools and instructions (Bentley or equivalent) really can do the t-belt job. Too any people are scared to try it, because others tell em that only an expert can handle it...or the huge dealer cost makes it look impossible for a home mechanic. NOT so...it's a straight forward step by step and easier than some other things I've done with cars. You can do it for a fraction of the dealer $$.

I did mine recently and even skipped a few steps, but I've done lots of t-belts on other cars in the past...plus I had advice from other successful "step-skippers". But the steps I skipped were just things to make the vital steps more easily accessible, but that's just my way and NOT recommended by Audi or some other mechanics. Anyway, even buying some special tools, I did the whole job for just a few hundred $$.

Being a home mechanic yourself (Texas), you'd have a big advantage with A8 ownership. It'll bring your upkeep cost down to a reasonable level, compared to the non-mechanic who's at the mercy of a dealer...big money for simple stuff. I've had my A8 for 6 years and self-upkeep costs haven't been a burden at all. There's lots of other sources for quality parts a dealer might soak ya on.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:20 PM
Site Moderator

Oh, well thank you.

In addition to what silverd2 said skipping steps aren't recommended, especially on ALUMINUM engines! .......Follow the torque procedures......trust me...
It should be a piece of cake for anyone with any mechanical expereince, just take it slow and it will get done.