Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

A8/04/3.0 PRNDS Flashing? engine vibrate on Reverse?

Old 08-24-2008, 02:20 PM
1st Gear
Default A8/04/3.0 PRNDS Flashing? engine vibrate on Reverse?

Hi all,

I am going to tell you the wholes story from A-Z

I was driving to my office with no problem, smooth ride. When i left the office i tried to start my car the engine didn't start and i got the PRNDS Flashing and i can't move the transmission stick from the P position.

So i called the agent and they sent someone to check the car, he connected his inspection device, generated a report and then unlocked the transmission. He started the car and it went fine, smooth as usual.

He advised me to take it to the garage to diagnose the issue and make sure everything is ok, i did, they checked it and told me they need to change the TCU.

They changed it and i took the car.. I have two issues now:

1. At the begining, the engine turned off almost 3-4 times in around 20min when i put the transmission in D or R. after an hour drive it went ok, no problem in D but the PRNDS turned ON while i was driving for 5min and then went off, this time it is not flashing.

2. Now When i move the transmission stick to the R position, it is not smooth, it act as if am moving the stick to R while pressing the gas paddle. you can see the engine shock and u can feel it.

I took the car back to the garage and now they are telling me that i need to replace the transmission if i want to get that issue solved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

before that i had a problem with the oil cooler and they replaced it, Please advise

Old 08-24-2008, 02:35 PM
Site Moderator

Which shop diagnosed this? It still sounds like a TCU problems to me. The transmission won't cause the PRNDS lights to flash, that indicates trans limp mode. Meaning there is an electrical problem so there couldn't be a mechanical problem causing that.
Changing the transmission won't solve anything, take it to another shop and make sure they coded the TCU correctly.

Old 08-25-2008, 12:36 AM
1st Gear

this is Audi Main dealer shop in saudi arabia. I know that they know nothing about fixing Audi but we have no other choice here. As they are the only one to fix Audi.

I will go to them today and ask them to make sure that the TCU is coded correctly.i hope they know how to do that! is there a step by step guide that i can share with them. How can they check if they coded it correctly or not.

Thanks for the help

Old 08-25-2008, 05:48 PM
Site Moderator

If its a factory dealer then they have to have access to ELSA WEB which will have a specific coding table. Another problem with A8's are the TR (transmission range) switch which could cause this problem. IF its the dealer then tell them to look up all the TSB's for the cars and there might be one relating to your concern. I have only had to replace 1 A8 transmission for a problem like this out of maybe 100.

Old 08-30-2008, 01:56 PM
1st Gear

ok i just took the car out of the garage, they checked the code and they said it is on the factory default for my car. They connected a device in the car and took it for a drive, and then did a transmission alignment or what ever they call it. where they drive for 20 meter on D and then R 20 meter, they did that for 4-6 times. When i drive the car it seems that The problem is 90-95% solved, it is much smoother than before but still sometimes i feel it a little. When you ask some one else to drive my car he will not notice it but i do cuz it is my car ..

After they diagnosed the car, i asked them to dump the result on my USB Drive, maybe i can send it to you to take a look at it and see if there is something in it.

Old 09-01-2008, 07:01 PM
Site Moderator

Yeah you can do that, but im glad that its mostly solved.