Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PRNDS only on reverse, need advice!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 12:19 PM
1st Gear
Default PRNDS only on reverse, need advice!

Car: 2003 Audi A6 3.0 Quattro

Pulling code: P0706

Hello, I've started having a problem with the PRND flashing and the car going into limp mode ONLY when I go into reverse.

Now, the car does reverse when this happens, but when I go into drive the acceleration is sluggish until I restart the car and put it right back into drive. So basically the car runs fine unless I initially go into reverse. To add to that, SOMETIMES if I hold the shifter in a specific position, the reverse works without causing the car to flash PRNDS.

I was wondering if anyone else has come across this particular issue? I understand it could need a range sensor replacement, but could it possibly just be a matter of readjusting or cleaning a few things?

Old 10-07-2014, 10:19 PM
1st Gear

There are a few threads on cleaning some contacts in the shifter. Search the forum search for the write up. Key words shifter, cleaning, shifter contacts. ect. But that code meant a new tranny on mine

Old 10-08-2014, 02:44 PM
1st Gear

Hi,
does it go into reverse with a real lump when it does this, as mine does exactly the same thing and when I plugged in my Snap On scanner it came up with lock solenoid not disengaging.

Originally Posted by Relyts
Car: 2003 Audi A6 3.0 Quattro

Pulling code: P0706

Hello, I've started having a problem with the PRND flashing and the car going into limp mode ONLY when I go into reverse.

Now, the car does reverse when this happens, but when I go into drive the acceleration is sluggish until I restart the car and put it right back into drive. So basically the car runs fine unless I initially go into reverse. To add to that, SOMETIMES if I hold the shifter in a specific position, the reverse works without causing the car to flash PRNDS.

I was wondering if anyone else has come across this particular issue? I understand it could need a range sensor replacement, but could it possibly just be a matter of readjusting or cleaning a few things?