Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

Airbags deployed + Car wont start

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 06:49 PM
1st Gear
Default Airbags deployed + Car wont start

My 2005 A8 had an accident & 3 airbags on right side are out. The point of impact is rear right door & there is no damage in the front side. The vehicle doesnt start now.

I understand that there is a battery overload fuse which will stop the power going to the ignition. I am changing the same.
1 Can there be any more issues for engine not starting.
2 My mechanic says the starter is bad. Is there a way to determine if the starter is bad once the power is cutoff to the ignition?
3 Will the fuel supply still work or that would be cutoff too ?

I am trying to understand that once i change the battery overload fuse module, are there other things that i need to worry about to start the car? Any corelation
Thanks

Old 08-25-2012, 08:19 AM
1st Gear

OK, in your other post you didn't mention the accident so I thought you meant the BMM.

What the mechanic is talking about are the "igniters" that break the electrical connections so the battery doesn't catch fire.

You're going to need VCDS to reset warnings after the airbags are replaced anyway, so I'd get it to find out what exactly is wrong with the vehicle.
Yes it's $350, but it will more than pay for itself in diagnostic charges and enabling you to do work that the dealer/mechanic might otherwise have to do.
Also get a Bentley repair manual if you plan to do any work.

In most states in the US airbag deployment "totals" a car because it's costlier to repair than the value of the vehicle.
May want to talk to your insurance company before going too wild on repairs, in my opinion.