Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

Audi A8 Electical issue

Old 05-10-2008, 08:23 PM
Default Audi A8 Electical issue

Driving the car the other day suddenly all the indicator lights came on solid as did both the indicator lights on the dash. Car was running fine. Pulled over to check the manual, selected Park and stopped the engine but could find no reference and tried to start the car. When I tried to start the engine there was no response from the starter but all checks completed OK The indicator lights still on, but turning the key would not connect the starter. Took the keys out of the ignition and the lights were still on solid. I thought it could be a sticky relay (and it well could be) and eventually disconnected and reconnected the battery and the engine started first time. Indicator lights were out but came on again after a few hundred meters when I signaled to rejoin the traffic. Disconnected the battery when I got home and reconnected it the following morning and all seemed OK. Stopped the car and hit the remote locking on the key fob and all the indicator lights came on and had to disconnect the battery to get the starter to turn and start the engine. Indicator lights now stayed "off". If I lock the doors with the key manually the indicators do not come on but I have to disconnect and reconnect the battery to get the starter to turn but if I do not lock the car the starter works fine after I stop it. If I lock the car remotely with the key fob the indicator lights come on immediately. I only need to disconnect for a second (such a short disconnect the radio doesn’t even loose code) to reset whatever it is so it would seem like a relay jamming but I have little knowledge of this cars electrical system and although have printed the wiring diagrams from the Bentley manual I have yet to really delve in to the circuitry and am looking for pointers or if someone has had a similar issue and knows a resolution. Any help appreciated. PS Would rather not take it to the local dealer unless I really have to as I have no confidence in them at all.