Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

Control Arms

Old 12-08-2011, 05:02 PM
1st Gear
Question Control Arms

I bought my 2004 A8 used about 2 yeras ago with 63K on it. I was going through the old paperowrk of this car and it seems that the former owner has replaced all 4 arms (right and left) about 3 years ago (30,000 miles ago).
Now, I have noticed some swaing of the front of the car, when applying the break at speeds above 60 miles/hour. I took my car to an indi-mechanic and he said that the Contol arms front left, upper and lower should be replaced. My question is; do the control arms wear off so quickly? Did anybody else had any issues with the control arms?

Thank you,

A.

Old 12-08-2011, 06:17 PM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

not entirely sure but you have to bear in mind that the A8 is a big heavy beast. it is a lot of weight for the control arms to control.

my guess is that your control arm bushings are worn. I believe it is possible to replace just the bushings (saves on parts but not labor).

-disclaimer: total suspension noob

Old 12-09-2011, 09:50 AM
1st Gear
Default I recently replaced my upper control arms

I'm not so sure if it's a question of wearing off vs they are sort of a maintenance item on the A8 and need to be replaced when they need to be replaced. As 02A6Beau says, the A8 is a heavy beast. Control arms, as with other rubber suspension components do wear out...look at the rubber bushings...mine were broken and slopping around. I think Audi could have used a beefier bushing in the A8 though.

See my post here:

https://www.audiforums.com/forum/aud...-%2472-175613/

you can replace just the bushings but you either need the Audi tool or some variant of it to press the old bushings out...I've heard of some people making them out of PVC pipe and some threaded rod. Replacing the bushings is fine if the ball joints are ok. Check out: http://www.samstagsales.com/images/vw_matra_3346.jpg

Sounds like you've got to do upper and lowers...perhaps a kit from blauparts.com is a better option.

Let us know what you end up doing.

Last edited by Gigitty; 12-09-2011 at 09:55 AM.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:37 PM
1st Gear

Well, my question is if it is normal for a car like this to go through control arms every 2-3 years?
In my case they were replaced about 2 years ago, (20K) miles ago and now they are acting up again.
My other question is where to get the real Audi OEM part not some junk from far east!
I am not even sure that in my case it is the control arm that needs to be replaced. At speeds higher than 60/mph when I apply the brake the front of the car stars swaing. I need to mention that the brakes and the rotors are just fine!

Thank you,
A.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:24 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by abarmard
Well, my question is if it is normal for a car like this to go through control arms every 2-3 years?
Yes. It's not the arm itself, but the bushing, which is serviceable.

My other question is where to get the real Audi OEM part not some junk from far east!
No need to judge me...try your local dealer...or one of the various OEM suppliers (who also source from far east).

I am not even sure that in my case it is the control arm that needs to be replaced. At speeds higher than 60/mph when I apply the brake the front of the car stars swaing. I need to mention that the brakes and the rotors are just fine!
Take the wheel off and inspect the bushings...you'll know if they are bad or not. Loose/broken suspension components will make the car do weird things. Any noises when going over speed bumps?

Old 12-13-2011, 07:38 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Gigitty
Yes. It's not the arm itself, but the bushing, which is serviceable.

No need to judge me...try your local dealer...or one of the various OEM suppliers (who also source from far east).

Take the wheel off and inspect the bushings...you'll know if they are bad or not. Loose/broken suspension components will make the car do weird things. Any noises when going over speed bumps?
No, no noises at all. the car drives well except for the swaing at higher speed, once brake applied. I also cheked, the front rotora were changed about 3 years ago (30K miles ago).
By the way, how do I know that there is time to replace the control arms?

Thanks,