Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

ESP light??!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 03:49 PM
1st Gear
Exclamation ESP light??!!

Hi Folks,
For the last 7 days the ESP light (the Alert sign in that triangle) keeps going on. Any body can tell we what that means and what I should do? Is that expensive to repair?

Thank you,

A.

Old 12-20-2010, 06:22 PM
2nd Gear

Usually indicates a fault in the ABS.

Any other lights on at the same time? Does the ESP light stay on all the time, intermittent? ....please describe.

Audi dealers will always say it's the hydraulic unit under the hood at huge $$$$
It is NEVER the entire hydraulic unit..at worst, it's the elec module connected to the unit, which is repairable (by a few different services) or replaceable.

BUT many other systems/components can trigger the same warning light....ABS sensors at the wheels dirty/faulty/disconnected, brake light switch at pedal, etc...and many other systems. A Vagcom diagnostic can track down the fault.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:22 PM
2nd Gear

P.S. As you probably know, the ABS performs most of the corrective functions of ESP.
It would be very unusual for ESP light to be on alone (no ABS or Brake warning). Normally ESP light comes on alone when skid correction or traction control is in operation or the ESP dash switch is pushed....otherwise, if it comes on alone, something could mistakenly be telling it to intervene...which would be something in the ABS or one of the stability/skid sensors.
If ESP light only IS on alone, do you feel any evidence of self-braking...pulling to one side, etc ?

Old 12-21-2010, 08:06 AM
1st Gear
Default The ESP light

Thank you very much for the reply.
The ESP light is NOT on @ all times, but only intermittently. There is NO OTHER light on otherwise. The fact that it is ON however does not have any effect on the way the car drives. Some times once I turn the engine off and back on, it goes away and it is good for a day or two untill it goes on again.
I have 2 Other unrelated questions though;
1- Should I change the oil every 5K or every 10K?
2- Would changing the spark plugs improve the ride or gas mileage?

Thank you again,
A.

Old 12-21-2010, 08:55 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by abarmard
Thank you very much for the reply.
The ESP light is NOT on @ all times, but only intermittently. There is NO OTHER light on otherwise. The fact that it is ON however does not have any effect on the way the car drives. Some times once I turn the engine off and back on, it goes away and it is good for a day or two untill it goes on again.
I have 2 Other unrelated questions though;
1- Should I change the oil every 5K or every 10K?
2- Would changing the spark plugs improve the ride or gas mileage?

Thank you again,
A.
1. If you're using good quality 100% synthetic (Castrol, Mobil 1, etc), as you should (must), every 10K is often enough...some worriers may disagree, but this is definitely sufficient.

2. If plugs are not too old or worn (inspect) AND the proper ones (too hot or too cold burning plugs are not good...check OEM specs), you won't see much difference. 40K miles is about the limit. Even slightly different approved plugs have different "feel". Platinum tip 4-prong tend to feel smoother and quieter, but a little "softer" off the line...smooth and powerful at mid & higher rpm though. Standard 4-prong plugs tend to feel more responsive off the line, but a little rougher feel at all rpms.

Many say they don't feel these subtle differences, but I do and it makes technical sense. Stardard plugs change heat characteristics over rpm range...platinum maintains a more constant heat output through all rpms, just slightly cooler than standard at very low rpm (yielding more smoothness).

Othe brands (and #'s) that claim to be compatible, may fit and "work", but are outside the proper heat range and adversely effect the combustion and mpg... and the longevity of the plugs/engine...too hot can actually break in 2.

correct plugs:

-Bosch FGR7KQEO "platinum +4" ...flush, thin center electrode
-Bosch FGR7KQEO standard 4 prong..thick protruding center electrode
-NGK BKR6EQUP (platinum?) 4 prong also good plug

On the ESP: SOMETHING is causing the light come on...a false signal from some component. A Vagcom diagnostic or similar, might read a code to isolate the cause...NOT normal, but intermittent (in general) is not as bad as constant.

Last edited by silverd2; 12-21-2010 at 06:01 PM.