Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

Former BMW 740 owners

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 05:37 PM
1st Gear
Default Former BMW 740 owners

So here goes... I know that there's a few or more BMW 740 owners on this forum. Now my question is, why the switch to an Audi A8? Now give us the full "Monty" on why you switched and will you return to BMW brand? Tell us what you dislike about BMW that made you cross the line.

Old 10-11-2010, 06:36 PM
Site Moderator

I've only driven one BMW 7 series, and it was in allentown PA during mid december. The lack of traction up a steep icy hill would have stopped me from buying one, but im sure there are other reasons.

Old 10-12-2010, 12:11 AM
1st Gear

OK Auditech79, what are "Other reasons"? You put it out there now give the details. Lets leave out the Quattro AWD system, I understand it's the best out there... or is it? Has the auto industry AWD system caught up with it?

Old 10-12-2010, 01:43 AM
1st Gear

I disliked the swooping dashboard as well as the center buttons/controls. I also disliked the steering wheel, could have been simplistic and great. Everything once I got back in my A8 seems much more refined and thought out. One advantage to me was the nav screen on the bimmer stayed put ( I always think my nav screen coming up all the time is going to break again.) Mainly I like the tight feeling of the leather on the A8 while the leather seat on the bimmer seemed a bit loose and not as durable long term. Still a great car. They completely went wrong when they redesigned the front end on the last series, and this newer series on all bimmers is even uglier! IMO.

Either way their both much much much better looking inside and out than any s5xx series merc.

Last edited by Brozee; 10-12-2010 at 01:50 AM.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:54 PM
Site Moderator

Originally Posted by Da Dark Jedi
OK Auditech79, what are "Other reasons"? You put it out there now give the details. Lets leave out the Quattro AWD system, I understand it's the best out there... or is it? Has the auto industry AWD system caught up with it?
Perhaps, but the "quattro" system is WAY more than 20 years old. The Torsen differential was actually a tractor differential thats been used since 1959. Other differentials include: Haldex, Viscous coupling, multi plate clutch, among a few others. The torsen probably is still the best for REAL offroad driving, but for performance driving i prefere a viscous coupler like the EVO and STI uses.
BMW and Mercedes is more like a haldex which sucks in my opinion.

Old 10-12-2010, 09:37 PM
2nd Gear

Ever drive a FWD with a Quaife diff? ....unbelievable traction, cornering under hard throttle and "snow-go"...zero torque-steer ever.
Similar design to torsen...I put one in a very modified Scirocco I built way back. Expensive little item, but was the perfect completion to all my other mods....made everything work like it should.

Old 10-12-2010, 09:46 PM
Site Moderator

Originally Posted by silverd2
Ever drive a FWD with a Quaife diff? ....unbelievable traction, cornering under hard throttle and "snow-go"...zero torque-steer ever.
Similar design to torsen...I put one in a very modified Scirocco I built way back. Expensive little item, but was the perfect completion to all my other mods....made everything work like it should.
Yeah actually, my old 2004 SRT-4 had a quaife differential i believe, it made all the difference in the quarter mile. However i still got some major torque steer with 470 horspower at the front wheels LOL!

Thats with a 100 shot NOS fogger system though.....
I miss that piece of crap

Old 10-13-2010, 12:49 PM
1st Gear

Now that my suspension has been dialed in and my front and rear diffs have been upgraded, I much prefer my '03 Evo's AWD. Although the new Evo X AWD system is arguably more advanced, I do prefer the 100% mechanical system in my '03 to all the electronic gadgetry. Wish I could permanently turn off the electronic nannies in my A8.

l8r)

Old 10-13-2010, 08:31 PM
Site Moderator

Originally Posted by ludikraut
Now that my suspension has been dialed in and my front and rear diffs have been upgraded, I much prefer my '03 Evo's AWD. Although the new Evo X AWD system is arguably more advanced, I do prefer the 100% mechanical system in my '03 to all the electronic gadgetry. Wish I could permanently turn off the electronic nannies in my A8.

l8r)
There is absolutely NOTHING electronic with an A8's AWD system. The torsen diff is 100% mechanical. Everything else is traction control, engine and transmission electrical tweaks that can feel like its messing with the traction of the car.
The TT and A3 have electronically controlled AWD systems, AKA the haldex.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:48 PM
1st Gear

^ Yep, that's what I wish I could turn off on my A8 .. all of the traction control crap, variable throttle mapping, etc.

l8r)

Quick Reply: Former BMW 740 owners