Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

Left Rear wheel bearing replaced

Old 11-04-2010, 02:20 PM
1st Gear
Default Left Rear wheel bearing replaced

Just need a little help. I had my left rear wheel bearing replaced on 2004 Audi A8L quattro Tuesday, eveything is quiet now, however I notice upon taking off periodically there is a moderate vibration felt, it mainly occurss when pulling a hill or quick heavy acceleration.

It's Just kind of weird to receive that vibration after replacing the left rear bearing, dont think they should have off set the drive shaft??

Please help!

Old 11-04-2010, 11:54 PM
2nd Gear

I wouldn't think the central drive shaft...lots of play to work with at both ends and shouldn't have been affected by work required for wheel bearing replacement.
I would want to return to the mechanic (Dealer) as soon as possible, to recheck steps involved in the wheel bearing job...brake parts, axle shaft, etc reseated correctly (?)

Just a guess, if you're sure the vibration wasn't present before (masked by bearing noise).

Old 11-05-2010, 08:42 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by silverd2
I wouldn't think the central drive shaft...lots of play to work with at both ends and shouldn't have been affected by work required for wheel bearing replacement.
I would want to return to the mechanic (Dealer) as soon as possible, to recheck steps involved in the wheel bearing job...brake parts, axle shaft, etc reseated correctly (?)

Just a guess, if you're sure the vibration wasn't present before (masked by bearing noise).
Thanks for you help. if the vib was there before, I would have felt it, because the feel is my complaint. I have since contacted the shop and scheduled an inspection of work performed. thanks again

Old 11-07-2010, 10:00 AM
2nd Gear

Let us know what you learn.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:54 AM
1st Gear

Yes please let us know what the dealer tells you. I know that since I bought the car at 50k miles I have a semi-quiet wheel bearing noise coming from the front at slow speeds. Not only I but quite a few other members on the forums have it as well. We just never addressed it because it never bothered us as much. Not worth the money out of pocket after warranty ends.

Old 11-09-2010, 09:05 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Brozee
Yes please let us know what the dealer tells you. I know that since I bought the car at 50k miles I have a semi-quiet wheel bearing noise coming from the front at slow speeds. Not only I but quite a few other members on the forums have it as well. We just never addressed it because it never bothered us as much. Not worth the money out of pocket after warranty ends.

The reason I replaced my bearing is because the rear end sounded like and old Z car or something, couldnt even talk on my bluetooth without others saying can "can you put your windows up" now the car is quiet, it cost $279 to replace bearing, as far as the vibration goes, I havent had a chance to take vehicle in because I was out of town. But to me, the vibration doesnt seem as bad as it was at first.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:13 AM
1st Gear

Was that price from the dealership?

Old 11-10-2010, 08:57 AM
1st Gear

Was that price from the dealership?
No, it was from an alternative Euro & Asian repair shop. got a good brake job done for $360, no squeaking or shakey braking.

Old 11-10-2010, 10:45 AM
1st Gear

What brakes did you have replaced and with what type of pads? I just took mine to an indy shop to have the rear rotors and brakes replaced. I paid $350 out the door, because I had the 335mm rear rotors unlike the earlier 05's and 04's with 310mm rotors. I had akebono ceramics put on. Great improvement on dust but they squeal and squeak when coming to a complete stop. Having them replaced soon with the stock pads free of charge.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:53 AM
1st Gear

What brakes did you have replaced and with what type of pads? I just took mine to an indy shop to have the rear rotors and brakes replaced. I paid $350 out the door, because I had the 335mm rear rotors unlike the earlier 05's and 04's with 310mm rotors. I had akebono ceramics put on. Great improvement on dust but they squeal and squeak when coming to a complete stop. Having them replaced soon with the stock pads free of charge.
I am not exactly sure what brand, they came in a yellow box, and on the box it read "made in germany" it also has the sensor wire on it.

I t didnt replace the rotors, he resurfaced them. everyone else wanted to replace and charge $1k. There is no squeaking noise, squealing or anything. i must say, I was very impressed and that was two weeks ago.

I will try to find out the pads this weekend when I go by the shop.