Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

Minor annoyances...

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2005, 03:05 PM
Senior Administrator
Default Minor annoyances...

I have the following minor annoyances with my '99 A8 4.2 Q, if anybody has any constructive info that will halp me resolve these issues, I would be grateful for any help provided.

1. Cigarette lighters, front AND rear, non-op. (minor because I'm a non-smoker, but, I have nowhere to plug in my cell-phone charger, which is annoying!)
I've checked the fuses. None appear to be blown. If nobody has any helpful suggestions to offer by the time it warms up, I'll take my multi-meter and begin the labor intensive task of tracing wires and repost my findings back to this board.

2. Cruise control works intermittently.
I have yet to determine what it's reason for working, when it works, or it's reason for not, when it won't. Mostly it won't, but sometimes... if the starts are correctly aligned?

3. The backlight on my driverside temp control has gone south. It still controls the temp, mind you, it just isn't led-backlit, anymore. Any suggestions that don't involve taking it to the local Audi Stealership? If I had THAT kinda long green I wudda bought sum'n NEW, instead of sum'n 5 years old.

4. The button that pops the trunk from inside the car also is a tad tempermental. Works 99% of the time. The other 1% has me gnashing my teeth!!! Again, no apparent rhyme or reason.

Old 05-21-2005, 03:20 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Minor annoyances...

I have a the power port problem, a little different though. Only one of mine work now on my 98n (the fron works) and I can't figure out why. A short time ago neither worked on my 01 and it did ended up being the fuse. Audi sticks fuses everywhere on these things, I know it sounds unconceivable, but it wouldn't surprixe me if they were on different fuses. On my 98 the mirrors no longer work, passenger rear headreast motor is stuck, drivers seatbelt is adfustment is stuck. The 01 door switch no longer works, but luckely for me the remote on the key does. I hope to get around sometime to trying to figure these out, if I come across any good ideas I will let you know. What I would really like is a wireing schematic for the cars. Good luck

Old 05-21-2005, 06:59 PM
Senior Administrator

I plan on coughing up the $80-$90.00 dineros it costs for the repair manual CD. I'll PM you when I gettit. Burn you a copy and snailmail it 2 U.

Also, I found a board that addresses some of the issues we've been discussing on several of teh threads here, including the fluctuation rpm's and others...

http://tech.bentleypublishers.com/fo...Name=audi.d.d2

Old 05-23-2005, 03:00 AM
1st Gear

Hi guys,
I'm a newbie and located in the DC area like AWDHolic. You all are scaring me with the stories of electrical gremlins. Besides the Passenger side headrest (which doesn't work because it has popped out of its track) all other electrical goodies work, INCLUDING the heated steering wheel!

Could be because the car has spent its whole life in either GA or FL and theres not alot of use of the cold weather package.

Since we all have the same year (or close) model, perhaps we should all chip in and make copies of the service manual, or even better, try and find a knowledgeable yet reasonable priced mechanic in the Northern VA area?

What do you think?

Old 05-24-2005, 12:25 AM
Senior Administrator

I'm all for that, gapa8. I'll include you in the email when my CD arrives.

Old 05-25-2005, 01:09 AM
1st Gear

I would chip in on that disc, Va a bit of a drive for me, I am in Salem Or.

Old 05-26-2005, 12:31 AM
Senior Administrator

I'll let you guys know when I make it happen. All ya hafta do then is PM me your snailmail address and I'll burn ya a "backup" copy to hold onto for me, OK?

Old 05-30-2005, 06:19 PM
5th Gear

awd, that doesn't work with bentleys. they have an activation process that's harder to crack than the new winxp. bastards [:@].