Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

NEW HERE: 2005 Audi A8L Tranmission Problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 02:24 AM
1st Gear
Default NEW HERE: 2005 Audi A8L Tranmission Problems

So there was a leak in my transmission and I leaked a lot of fluid. The cars at 180k and stared slipping and banging into gears. Rpms going up and down while decelerating. The leak was fixed and fluid was replaced. Although right now is not slipping and banging into gears but there is a small jerk that is felt but the real issue is when the car shifts in or out of 4th there is a small high pitch squeal and a delayed shift. The rpms still aren't completely stable while decelerating

As of this point i dont know what it is and what i can do to fix it. ANY advice would be appreciated.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:56 AM
1st Gear

Did you check the pan when the service was done? If you have driven that far and not serviced the trans, no telling what the problem could be. I'd do another service (including filter) and drive it.
You fixed the leak, not to much else in the future buy prayer.
Keep an eye on the fluid level btw.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:13 AM
1st Gear

There was a TSB for the 4th gear squealing issue that involved swapping fluids to the newer spec fluid, along with a software re-flash of the transmission controller. You can find it on the web under file: "audi tb 37-06-13.pdf"

When it first came out, it referenced the ZF LifeGuard 6+ fluid, which was Audi part # G-055-162-A2, this has been superseded to LifeGuard 8, which is G-060-162-A2. Your car came filled with LifeGuard 6, which is G-055-005-A2. All of these fluids are much cheaper to purchase under their ZF names, than from your dealer.

You can tell which fluid your car has in it by referencing the software version. You'll need either a Vag-Com to do this yourself, or to have your dealer verify which version you have.

The bigger issue at work here is the actual health of your transmission. If you went 180k without even a fluid change along the way, I would have very little hope that it's savable. Also, driving these things at anywhere below the proper fluid level is very damaging.

If I were you, I would first verify which software version you have. If you have the "old" software, I would go pickup about 7 quarts of the "old" LifeGuard 6 fluid, and a transmission filter kit (don't forget the pan gasket). Drop the pan, clean everything out, put the new filter in, and re-fill the tranny (there is a very detailed and involved procedure for this) and hope for the best. If you have the "new" software, use the LifeGuard 8 fluid.

There's a chance you may be able to get some more life out of the tranny, but from what it sounds like, I think you may be looking at a new tranny.

Last edited by bmwm750; 05-04-2012 at 11:15 AM.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:32 PM
1st Gear

not to highjack the thread, I have asked the dealer here about this update and the service advisory pretty gave me the cold shoulder with the typical response "the tranny has a life time fiil". I have an 06, should he update already be done on it?

Where was your trans leaking from? how long was it leaking for before you notice it?

Old 05-10-2012, 06:21 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by jamm220
not to highjack the thread, I have asked the dealer here about this update and the service advisory pretty gave me the cold shoulder with the typical response "the tranny has a life time fiil". I have an 06, should he update already be done on it?

Where was your trans leaking from? how long was it leaking for before you notice it?
Again, the only real way to tell if you have had the update done (and thus at least a fluid change along the way) is to check your software. Hypothetically, you could take a look at the fluid, but chances are it has long since lost its dye, and even if it hadn't, would be too dirty to be able to discern a color.

The general philosophy is that if you haven't had the software update, just do a drain and fill with the "old" Lifeguard 6 fluid along with a filter change, and then change the fluid again in another 40k. The "lifetime fill" BS is exactly that. Somewhere between 75k and 100k is a good time to service the transmission for the first time.