Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

New member: Could use your opinions

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 08:34 PM
1st Gear

I'm leaning toward the A8 now.

How much does the chip generally run? Also, is there a good place to get OEM rims? I'd like to get the S8 20" rims for the A8.

Thanks!

Old 02-15-2010, 08:46 PM
Senior Administrator

Originally Posted by Brozee
~You can't really get a car that's amazing in both categories without paying up the butt for it.
Maybe he LIKES it up the butt!!!

SWB means (S)hort (W)heel (B)ase. In other words, the non-"L" version.

Chips usually void your warranty, but not always. Depends on who does the install, and how. Some chip installs are easily reversible, so when you hafta take it in for service, they don't bent you over and... give it to you up the BUTT!

Costs vary. A little research on the interwebs should put you in touch with a few tuners. Off the top of my head (and, I am sure others will ring in with more) I can say there is www.raimotorsport.com (a friend of mine, and "rayveedub," here on the fourms. Helluva mechanic, based outta Baltimore), or www.pes-tuning.com, or possibly www.oemplus.com (if you wanna DIY it, and I am not sure they have chips for the A8).

Old 02-15-2010, 09:05 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by AWDaholic
Maybe he LIKES it up the butt!!!

SWB means (S)hort (W)heel (B)ase. In other words, the non-"L" version.

Chips usually void your warranty, but not always. Depends on who does the install, and how. Some chip installs are easily reversible, so when you hafta take it in for service, they don't bent you over and... give it to you up the BUTT!

Costs vary. A little research on the interwebs should put you in touch with a few tuners. Off the top of my head (and, I am sure others will ring in with more) I can say there is www.raimotorsport.com (a friend of mine, and "rayveedub," here on the fourms. Helluva mechanic, based outta Baltimore), or www.pes-tuning.com, or possibly www.oemplus.com (if you wanna DIY it, and I am not sure they have chips for the A8).
The A8L doesn't handle too horribly does it? I couldn't find any SWB's that I liked. Probably getting the L.

Old 02-16-2010, 12:46 AM
Site Moderator

The L still handles much better than most cars, much better than an S500 would. I would personally buy a unitronics chip http://www.034motorsport.com/index.p...2670_2675_2702 which is probably the best quality chip on the market for the A8L. If you really need to have more power beyond that you can pony up about $5,000 to PES for a supercharger which should add another 50-60 horses on top of that bringing it to around 400 horses, but its not wise to push it too far past design specs.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:32 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by auditech79
The L still handles much better than most cars, much better than an S500 would. I would personally buy a unitronics chip http://www.034motorsport.com/index.p...2670_2675_2702 which is probably the best quality chip on the market for the A8L. If you really need to have more power beyond that you can pony up about $5,000 to PES for a supercharger which should add another 50-60 horses on top of that bringing it to around 400 horses, but its not wise to push it too far past design specs.
Dang. They ain't cheap! Any chance it could be installed by a DIYer?

Old 02-16-2010, 05:56 PM
Site Moderator

I wouldn't, if you screw up, you're buying a $1,200 ECM instead.

Old 02-16-2010, 06:06 PM
1st Gear

Just bought a 2008 A8L.
Pick up on Saturday. Debating whether to get Audi Care. The dealer wants $800.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:11 AM
Senior Administrator

Ya GOTTA post up some PICS. Maybe one or two with yer CHEESIN grill innit, too. Which Stealersh... Oops. Meant DEALERship...

Details! Details!

Old 02-17-2010, 04:11 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by auditech79
I wouldn't, if you screw up, you're buying a $1,200 ECM instead.
What kind of person/mechanic would I go to for the install?

Old 02-17-2010, 04:12 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by AWDaholic
Ya GOTTA post up some PICS. Maybe one or two with yer CHEESIN grill innit, too. Which Stealersh... Oops. Meant DEALERship...

Details! Details!
Will do. I hope to get it this weekend. Then I'm gonna throw on some 20" S8 wheels on the sucker. Possible chip too. I'll make my own little S8.

Quick Reply: New member: Could use your opinions