Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

New member: Could use your opinions

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 07:32 PM
Site Moderator

Not a mechanic, a shop that specializes in chips in general. Im not 100% sure but i think its just a flash and not actually a chip in the ECM. The older cars get a new PROM chip integrated into the ECU, now a days its just uploaded into the ECM through the OBDII port. Its best to just send in your ECU, have them flash it and it will be back to you in a couple days max.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:58 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by auditech79
Not a mechanic, a shop that specializes in chips in general. Im not 100% sure but i think its just a flash and not actually a chip in the ECM. The older cars get a new PROM chip integrated into the ECU, now a days its just uploaded into the ECM through the OBDII port. Its best to just send in your ECU, have them flash it and it will be back to you in a couple days max.
Is it easy to remove?

Old 02-18-2010, 06:08 PM
Site Moderator

Yes and no. Its located under the cowl directly under the windshield on the driver's side. You may need to take off the wiper blades to pull off both the cowl trims to sneak it out of there. The wiper blades tend to get jammed on the gear teeth so it takes some skill to remove them off the gears without breaking the wiper motor.

Old 02-21-2010, 02:43 AM
1st Gear

Ive been told that chipping the petrols wont get you anywhere

you can really only chip the diesels to get performance/economy increases

Old 02-21-2010, 03:27 PM
Site Moderator

You won't get as much as advertised no, and anything with a turbo charger will get massive gains out of a chip. However a chip on an N/A engine will get better throttle response, higher rev limiter, no speed governor, better management in all driving conditions which can get you better performance and better fuel economy. I've driven a few chipped N/A audis, and you can feel a difference.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:59 PM

If I were rich I'd get one with a W in it.

Old 02-27-2010, 02:02 PM
Senior Administrator

Originally Posted by oksimpson
If I were rich I'd get one with a W in it.
Then you might wanna look at the VW Phaeton W12. Waaayy cheaper than the A8L, and, believe it or not, 1000-X more exclusive. Hand-built on the Bently assembly line, too, so its kinda like an entry-level Bently. If you wanna be tha Pimp'd'est, peep the Pheaton 4-seater.

Old 02-27-2010, 11:29 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by AWDaholic
Then you might wanna look at the VW Phaeton W12. Waaayy cheaper than the A8L, and, believe it or not, 1000-X more exclusive. Hand-built on the Bently assembly line, too, so its kinda like an entry-level Bently. If you wanna be tha Pimp'd'est, peep the Pheaton 4-seater.
If your going to get a "W" I don't believe you need cheaper lol. Plus any phaetons left are usually pretty well beaten in From my experience of seeing at least 15 in person I believe about 3 of them were manageable without repairs breaking my wallet in half. Still its an overstretched passat! Beautiful seats though

Old 02-28-2010, 06:05 PM

All I'm saying is that the 6,0 Audi has the goodlooks and the ride of the A8Long and the power of the S8 (being produced only in short version) including stuff that got forgotten by Mercedes like soft closing doors. I guess they still have them on the $160K S class, but you'll never find them on a plain 550 anymore. And to think my 95 S500 had them... As far as the seats in the phaeton I would tend to disagree

Old 02-28-2010, 09:31 PM
1st Gear

The seats in the Phaeton were some of the best I have ever seen in any car. Ever.

Quick Reply: New member: Could use your opinions