Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

Please Help. Still Battling Noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 09:50 AM
1st Gear
Default Please Help. Still Battling Noise

Would like to know if i'm alone in what i'm experiencing or if this is normal. I have continued to hear a random pop/creak/click noise in the rear coming from both sides(sounds like the rear doors). It is pretty prounouced, and happens quite frequently when first driving the car. Can't really determine if it's temperature related because is seems to happen hot or cool, even though i believe it to be happening more when it's hot and the car has sat. Can't really say for sure if uneven road surfaces or bumps are causing this issue, because i'll be cruising along on even pavement and it will happen.

At first i thought it was the side sunshades, but it happens with them up or down. Now i believe it is the rear interior door panels( the black plastic right below the window) because i have pressed on it and it makes a similar noise, although i can't narrow it down to it being the culprit. When pressing on the top of the interior door panels in the rear driver side, it flexes a little and makes a noise of dry plastic. Is it even supposed to flex?I even notice that some pieces on the door panels do not fit as snug/flush as other cars i've seen(ie. the aluminum silver colored strip that goes along the panels). I've bought this to the attention of my dealer twice and of course when they go for a test drive they can't diagnose it or hear anything. I don't think they are lying because sometimes it happens, and sometimes it doesn't, but 90 percent of the time it does. I even sat in the back seat while my wife drove and i didn't hear it, but whenever i drive and the music is down or off, i hear it and it drives me crazy. Every 15-30 seconds or so there is a "POP,CLICK" coming from one door, then a few seconds later it can be heard on the other door which sounds like the sunshade clasps, but could be the actual door panels. Could the rubber/plastic door panel pieces dry out and possibly need lubrication?

Has anyone dealt with this issue in the A8? By the way, mines an 07 A8L with 51,000 miles on it. Bought it certified with 48,000 miles so it should not have been in any accident.
Have any of you noticed random creaks/pops from the interior of the A8 while driving? Please be honest as this may be something that everyone experiences and is normal and not an issue.

Thanks for your advice/responses.

Old 05-07-2012, 02:32 PM
1st Gear

Well, my 06 doesn't do any of this and it just passed 100k...... It's entirely possible that an interior panel could be loose, as I've certainly chased interior sounds in other cars, but these can be some of the most frustrating things to track down.