Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

Possible Transmission Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 02:48 PM
Default Possible Transmission Problem?

Hello all. I am new to this forum but not new to audis. I have a 1999 A8 Quattro and a 2001 S4 6sp. My question for a problem that has gotten worse in my A8. What happens is I am driving around town in drive at 35 - 50 MPH and the transmission will hunt between 4th and 5th gear up and down. The RPMs of the engine will surge and fall with this and it feels like the car is running rough. If I punch the throttle the transmission kicks down and the car accelerates fine. But if I lay off and drive leisurely in Drive, the transmission will continue to do this surging up and down. I am just out of warranty thru Audi Assured by two weeks. The problem was there for some time but has gotten more noticeable lately. Does anyone have any ideas? I am in Riverdale, NJ. Thanks.

John

Old 05-11-2005, 08:00 AM
Default RE: Possible Transmission Problem?

you drive round town at 50mph?

are there many schools in your town?

why dont you just turn off the overdrive, or lock it in 4th?

Old 05-14-2005, 09:44 PM

Hey I am having the same problem with my 1999 A8 and it isn't getting any better. It only has 66,300 miles. I am wondering if it is not yhe tranny but maybe an associated sensor. If I find out, and hopefully I will soon I will let you know.

Old 05-15-2005, 01:19 AM
Senior Administrator

No such prob w/my sweetie.

DO you have teh TipTronic tranny, or regular auto?

Mine is Tip, w/just a hair under 60K miles onit.

Have yu had the tranny services recently?

They need TLC too.

Not just the mota.

MayB time for a trip to AAMCO?

Old 05-16-2005, 04:10 PM
1st Gear

hey... im having the same problem i just bought a 98 a8 with 190 km on it and its doing the same with my tranny between the 40 and 60 km/h marks it stalls and the rpms go up n down it doesint shift smooth im worryed about it dunno what to do but i took it to a A8 dealer today so tomorrow they will tell me my results and see what it is... i will keep you guys posted when i get it checked.

Old 05-17-2005, 08:39 PM

My 97 is doing the same thing. Gald i am not the only one.

Thanks,
Neil

Old 05-19-2005, 02:44 AM
1st Gear

I haven't notice these problems with either of my A8's, but my 01 did start sticking when shifting in and out of park. Has anyone experienced this? It doesn't do it all the time, just sporatic. It feels like the shifter is stuck. The car perfoms flawlessly, just is difficlult sometimes to put in park and take out of park. The 01 has 62K on it.

Old 05-21-2005, 12:27 AM
Senior Administrator

I get that park-jolt thing, too, on rare ocassions. I think it's m re noticable when I park nose-first on a decline.

Old 05-21-2005, 11:22 AM

Hi I think I may have found the answer to our surging problem in 5th gear.

I just got mine back from the dealer for service. I wasn't going to mess around with this thing if it was the tranny it's to expensive to replace. It turns out that both the bank 1 and bank 2 air flow sensors were bad. It was causing the motor to alter the fuel mixture changing the revs causing the power to spike and drop a couple of hundred rpm's translating into a noticable surge in 5th gear. Why only 5th? Because it wasn't under that much of a load and it isn't requiring as much 02.

Let me know if this helps.

51timber

Old 05-21-2005, 03:12 PM
1st Gear

I think you may be right, most of the time it is when I was on an incline. Then it does it for a while after that. How long have you been dealing with it and has it gotten worse?

Quick Reply: Possible Transmission Problem?