Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

Possible Transmission Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 10:22 PM
Senior Administrator
Default RE: Possible Transmission Problem?

Those who ARE know I'm NOT a tech, but I believe that, while overly simplistic, it addresses teh fundamentals of the parts/issues.

We've got a couple of actual techs who'll hopefully chime in with a better, and more thourough covering of the issue...

Old 10-23-2006, 08:45 PM

As suggested by Awdaholic (Troy), i told my Audi mechanic (Don Galbraith Motoring, http://www.dgmotoring.com/) to clean the
MAF sensor while they are doing complete timing belt change service for me. I have also asked them to do trans and fluid change
as preventive maintenance. Today they called me and said that after MAF cleaning, my car runs "perfect" and have no gear hunting/rpm fluctuations problem. Also they suggested not to do trans fluid/ filter change since the tranny doesn't have any sign of leaks and shifting well. Looks like they are worrying about it might create some other problems that did not exist before. I wonder if this is a reasonable recommendation. My car is 98 A8 with 92k miles and in good condition overall. So timing belt service is done already. I need to thank Troy for help and good suggestion and am relieved knowing that the tranny is in good shape.
I asked them to change spark plugs and fuel filter as part of the maintenance also. I felt like their recommendation is an honest one
since it is not based on their making further profit from trans fluid change (expensive close to $500).
So next time gear huning/ rpm thing pops up again, i guess i need a new MAF sensor.

Old 11-21-2006, 03:10 PM
1st Gear

heres my little rant and rave.

Sorry if it offends other A8 owners

Ok so I agree that AUDIs are immaculate cars. Wait a minute but are they really. Lets do a simple comparison with a mercedes benz S430.

One only needs to go to the mercedes benz forum to see that they rarely have tranny problems. Their trannys do not "clunk", "hunt" or select wrong gears. Their trannys do not fail randomly asking for costly repairs (about 6000 to get an A6 tranny fixed). Mercedes benz does have electrical faults...which are at least fixable at a reasonable cost not the thousands we need to spend. I do not think there is a day we go by not hearing about a tranny problem. I have a 2000 A8 and I want to let go of it and only because i am afraid the tranny will give up on me.

It already clunks on an incline if i move it from park to drive, it "thumps" between 1-2 and vice versa. Other than that the car is a joy to drive. I am just afraid that I will not be able to afford a costly tranny repair.

my friend has a 2000 lexus and it shifts flawlessly...in my a8 you can feel the gears shift and sometimes hear it as well...how annoying!

Timing belts are a nuance. Think about it...mercedes benz has chains...WHAT a smart idea...wait its not smart..its common sense...adds value to the car because you dont have to change it and worry about it snapping. Chains make noise you may say....personally i feel that mercedes benzes have a beautiful purr to it no chains clunking

A8s have great engines...although i hear that they are a bit sluggish as compared to the S430. I agree with that because on the NJ turnpike (omg never go that way) i almost got run over and side scraped by a toyota because my car didnt respond too fast to my command from the throttle...ARGHHHH..who would have thought that it wouldnt move that fast...ITS AN 8 cylinder monster...you want it to move FAST.

anyway i did change my timing belt and boy was it in good shape..it had 105 K ...makes me wonder if some one else had changed it...although the rollers were rusted....which is bad...puts more tension on the belt.

one thing i also realized is that s430s do not transfer rumble and vibration to the steering wheel..my A8 has a steering wheel that seems to catch every single bump on the road...ARGHHH

S430s have bad air suspensions but I dont think my A8 has any better...its kinda stiff..dont know if anyone else has felt the same way..

Ok i admit it A8s have excellent control..i know because i drive in Ithaca, NY which is a snow and hill heaven..nbot to mention sleet as well. I agree that S430 AWD is no match for the quattro..

what else...i shouldnt be typing this since I am at work...but i needed to vent about the A8 especially the tranny...

Do you guys agree with me?