Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

Possible Transmission Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 04:58 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Possible Transmission Problem?

I have a earlier V8 but there is non-tranny thing that can create issues. In the older smaller V8, there is a breather hose that comes UNDER the intate manifold. In my car that hose became oil soaked and a crack developed that created a serious vacume leak under extream decel. In my V8, it eventually freaked out the computer and the tranny would go into "limp home mode" (it stayed in 3rd gear till the car was restarted). When the crack was less severe, I was getting symptoms like a bad TPS in other cars.

The other thing is the adjustment of the TPS. I know the old V8 TPS has a 4 position switch instead of a full potentiometer like some other TPS's. With the speed that was suggested, normal operation and adjustment of this item might put you on the between switching spots of this sensor at the given speed.

Old 02-04-2006, 12:22 AM

i know i'm a little late to this chat topic, but I think I got all ya...I had the same problem that it sounds like most of you are describing while driving, the rpms fluctuating up and down within a few hundred revs. I have 166k on my '99 A8. about 50k ago i had that problem that got worst, and worst, and worst. after many trips to my audi dealer, and them talking w/ germany and waiting for da german dudes to figure it out, they came back with........the TORQUE CONVERTER. which i then dropped about $2k on and haven't had that problem since. some transmission issues, as when the torque conv was coming apart, the debris was circulating through the tranny as they share the same fluid. i, to not drop $8k on a tranny, change my filter, fluid, and clean the magnets every 30k miles or so, including just yesterday. good luck

Old 02-09-2006, 10:56 PM

So i was wondering if there is any one else that wants to join in legal action against Audi for transmission repairs. Let me know if your willing.
[/quote]

Yes, I would be interested in joining.

Kent Brady
Woodland Park, Colorado[quote]ORIGINAL: pierzynskijl

Old 03-02-2006, 11:07 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: BryraTodds

I haven't notice these problems with either of my A8's, but my 01 did start sticking when shifting in and out of park. Has anyone experienced this? It doesn't do it all the time, just sporatic. It feels like the shifter is stuck. The car perfoms flawlessly, just is difficlult sometimes to put in park and take out of park. The 01 has 62K on it.

possibly your selenoid that unlocks your shifter doesn't work well your get's stuck,leave your hand on the shifter while pressing on the brake you should feel a soft click,that's an indication if your selenoid work's at least maybe totally, but engages a t least.

Old 03-02-2006, 11:11 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: tonypai

These ZF trannys suck. Bad design and poor quality. Good luck with AoA, the claim to know nothing of our problems. Sometimes a fluid and filter change will help it, but if you do your first fluid change at 100K miles you'll probably make it worse.

The hunting, I believe, is the valve body wearing out. Mine is tolerable in Tip but I know others have just as bad in Tip.

The thumping is the torque converter unlocking violently. After my fluid/filter change it went away.

The only way is fix this is to rebuild the tranny, torque converter and valve body. I'm hoping to convince my friend to put in a 6 speed S4 manual in mine.
oh that would be good ...do you think it would much changing for a manual tranny?

Old 03-02-2006, 04:42 PM
1st Gear

From what I understand, it was quite a bit of work. The S4 drive shaft is too long and had to be cut. Parts had to be moved to make room for the flywheel. I think he spent about 60 hours of designing and actual work to install the manual. I'm very jealous!

Old 04-26-2006, 02:28 PM

I have the same issue. Did you get it fixed? And if so, could you share what the fix was. Thank you.

Old 04-26-2006, 02:29 PM

Curious if you found the problem, and what the solution was. Thanks.

Old 10-20-2006, 02:20 PM

I have similar problem that you are describing - rpm fluctuations at light throttle at 30-40 mph that
feels like trans gears are up and down together 4-5 and 5-4 etc. You mentioned air flow sensor,
what are they? Do you mean O2 sensor? Or Mass air flow meter/ sensor ?
Any help appreciated.
Thanks,

Kwan

Old 10-21-2006, 05:53 PM

Here's a note from Troy, Awdaholic!
i think he described the problem and explained it nicely on my query.
Just want to share that with others:

The MAF, or (M)*** (A)ir (F)low sensor is different from the O2, or, Oxygen sensor. The MAF measures the amount (or, mass) of air flowing past an electrified wire. I won't go into ALL the details, but, suffice to say that if that wire gets dirty it won't "read" the air-mass properly, and confuse the engine control management (or, ECM) chip/computer. One of the symptoms of this result is a "hunting" feeling, by the engine, as it tries to accurately guess what it's reading from the MAF and meter the fuel accordingly. This happens because the chip that controls the engine "talks" to the one that controls the transmission. As the engine hunts up and down, so, too does the tranny, as it plays guess-the-rpm/catch-up with/to the engine. If you do a search, on AF, for MAF, you should be able to find some hints about how to clean your MAF, but, eventually, you'll hafta replace it.

The O2 sensor, when it's going bad, usually affects the ECM's ability to provide spark, at the appropriate time, resulting in a hesitating feeling, as you accelerate. This is a little different than the phenomena you're describing.

As you correctly guessed, low tranny fluid could also cause the gear-hunting you described, but, it wouldn't affect the engines rpm's, so if you've got both it's a better bet that it's your MAF. If you clean or replace the MAF and the tranny STILL hunts, then it's obviously your trannyy that's acting up, too.
Hope that helps. Welcome to the forums!

Quick Reply: Possible Transmission Problem?